Round table edge protector

Page 1 of 2
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter, edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a church.
Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.
On 1/16/2012 1:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?
We do have carts, but the end up being rolled, regardless.
stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?
Sometimes, I miss the obvious. Plastic, they already have a bit of rubber edge, but that isn't helping much.
Sorry about the absence of detail.
So. Now the question is WHAT are these tables made out of?
Wood, plastic, electrical wire spools or possibly granite...
On 1/16/2012 4:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one. I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering. If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1 1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work of it.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
The tables already have "some kind of" edging, but that isn't doing the job.
I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one. I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering. If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1 1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work of it.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?
If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Outwater. Maybe even HD or Lowe's. Google or phone around.
--
Tegger

Yes, there is already edging. But, the hollow plastic edges are banged up worse than new edging will handle. Need something to wrap around, or go over, or.....
Sorry, I neglected to say they were plastic.
Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?
If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Outwater. Maybe even HD or Lowe's. Google or phone around.
--
Tegger

Plastic tables with edging? That's a new one on me.
Can you get away with putting on tablecloths after the tables are in position?
--
Tegger

Yes, we already do that. Problem is, that the plastic is broken in a lot of places, and the sharp corners and edges are rough on peoples hands while rolling the tables.
Plastic tables with edging? That's a new one on me.
Can you get away with putting on tablecloths after the tables are in position?
--
Tegger

On 1/16/2012 2:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever loading or moving them. On a round table, it would be like a tire.
TDD
GB sounds like a remarkable man, and hope he's happy as can be, in his present condition.
The tables are plastic, and more banged up than a trim strip will handle.
My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever loading or moving them. On a round table, it would be like a tire.
TDD
On 1/16/2012 5:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(
TDD
I've heard (from those who know) that coffin nails are more addictive than heroin. Most smokers start between the age of 8 and 12, when they think they will live forever.
I have one sibling, my sister had her first at age 8, and hasn't been able to quit, 35 years later. I was lucky, I was allergic, and never had even one.
Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I trust the replacement tables will be square...
I don't know, but possibly. So that they won't be rolled as often?
I trust the replacement tables will be square...

Nah. Too hard to roll.
Seriously though, I've watched banquet suppliers fill rooms with round tables, and rolling them on their edges is exactly what they do to position them. These tables usually have vinyl edging on their perimeters. Plus, the tables are always covered with tablecloths once positioned and erected. The tablecloths hide the damaged edges of the tables, and also hide the flaking laminate and numerous scars on the tables' surfaces.
--
Tegger

On 1/16/2012 3:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off? Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or turn them down on a really big lathe!
I had a look, I was thinking something like a Dremel, to smooth the sharp edges. Might work, who knows. Since the table tops are hollow, I can't take too much off.

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off? Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or turn them down on a really big lathe!
We do that. But, it doesn't help the table rolling adults, who have rough edges while handling the tables.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:45:56 -0500, Tony Miklos
How about covering the ugly nature of the table with a table cloth?
Seems the table will still function for the intended purposes.
Something like this pic, but hating polka dots.
<
http://shop4tablecloths.co.uk/images/uploads/white%20on%20red%20polka.jpg