Roofing prices in central New Jersey, Monmouth County

I thought you'd be interested in prices to remove two roofs and install a new one on a ranch house located just outside Freehold, NJ.

Total price was $8,900 for a 3100 sq ft roof (based on actual measurements and not allowing for ridge vent shingles and waste).

The contractor said his cost for materials and the eight workers was $7,600. (The crew arrived at 8:00 a.m. and completed the job by 6:00 p.m. )

The materials alone were $3332. This includes 99 bundles of shingles (3300 sq. ft.), an ice and water barrier, 15# felt, drip edges along eaves and rakes, caulking, flashing, coil nails, five plumbing vent collars and ridge vents and caps. (Three bundles went unused.)

No payment or deposit was necessary at contract signing. I paid the driver delivering the materials $3332 when he arrived, and paid the crew foreman the remaining $5,568 when the job was done.

The shingles were IKO Cambridge AR. I chose them over GAF mainly because the algae resistance is built right into the shingles (embedded zinc particles). GAF is very vague about this; their products that may be AR get that way from a Scotch product called Stain Guard.

I'm providing this just for information. Let's not get into a discussion about my wisdom - or lack of - in choosing IKO over any other brand. The job is done.

The only thing I don't like about the appearance is the randomness. While each course has a straight bottom edge, there is no vertical alignment of the design, as there is with common three-tab shingles. There are at least four different patterns in a bundle; this is how they achieve the intentional "high dimensional" look. Looking at GAF Timberline HD installations, they have the same random appearance. So I can't say it's something unique to IKO, but something you should be aware of if you are big on a the precise look of a properly installed

3-tab shingle.

Off topic: Here's a link to a video titled "the worst roofing job in history". Unbelievable. It takes talent to be that bad consistently.

Rebel1

Architectural shingles. I like the look myself.

Wow ! ! !

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski