Roofing choice puts and takes

Greetings,
In the process of building of our home, we have now been faced with the
dilemna between choosing the standard Certainteed Landmark 30 Year roof
versus the upgrade Landmark 50 year roof. We are building the home in Central New Jersey.
My question is whether or not the upgrade is truly worth the expenditure. If so/if not, are there any material differences that we should take into account in factoring into the decision.
Any perspectives/experiences around this would be greatly appreciated.

The difference won't be apparent for another 25 or 30 years or so. Style and appearance considerations aside, any good roofing material that does not leak in the warranty period is suitable.
Decisions like this would be much easier if we knew exactly how long we'd be living in the house and how long we will live. If you are 60 now, go with the 30 year. If you are 30 and plan to stay in the house until you die, go for the 50 year.
That makes sense. Although I am in my 30's, I highly doubt I will be living in this house 30 years, much less 50 years from now. I just was curious if there were any material differences (appearance/asthetics aside to your point) that would warrant making the investment in the upgrade.

Again, thank you for the input.
sprtan wrote:

Well for me, I am 58 so that 50year job does not have much to offer. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"sprtan" wrote

The Landmark, IMHO, is one of the best over-all values in composite roof materials.
It's been maybe 7-8 yrs, and the Landmark was rated at 25/30/40 yr. shingles. Certainteed upgraded the useful life without changing the composite of the material. They did this by true testing the materials, in the different regions (I believe there are 6 regions). The old ratings of 25/30/40, are now 30/40/50 yr.
On my own home, I put the 40 yr on, which I thought was absolute best value. I'm surprised your builder didn't give you the option of a 40 yr. Wholesale difference between the 30 & 40 yr is around $7 per square, which there are 4 bundles to a square.