Type of home re-roofing?

Getting quotes on redoing our 40 year old very low slope, tar and gravel roof that has given excellent service. This is a fairly severe climate; long winters, windy, ocean side corrosion.

Simple bungalow, shed roof, 62 by 37 feet. No dormers, gullies or valleys. Maximum slope is approx 3 feet in 17. Only apertures are; one double flue brick chimney, one 3 inch vent stack, one electrical mast through eave at one end. No gutters.

I have asked about re-coating and re-gravelling (quite a bit of original pea gravel has been blown or washed away), knowing there are buildings around here over 100 years old with old fashioned tarred roofs.

Your opinions appreciated, not so much that the higher cost of 'Hot torch' (which sounds a bit like an exotic dancer????) is a major factor. But certainly concerning the technical aspects/comparison of the two methods, for a roof that has given a minimum of problems since

1970.

Many thanks for any comments or information.

Reply to
terry

Do a little research, don't trust my comments alone. You won't get anywhere near 40 years out of a torch down roof. 10-15 depending on the material grade used.

Your old roof was fully contact glued to the sheathing. The torch down stuff is not fully welded to the sheathing. Wind can be a problem.

Installed in accordance with the MFG instructions requires a 3" wrap over the edges of the roof. Not real attractive.

There is no gravel protection the material. UV degradation sets in much sooner.

Remember the warranty is only as good as the company who provides it and the manufacturer will always claim installer error.

Reply to
Colbyt

If you don't care how it looks from the ground (assuming you can see the roof deck from the ground), I'd look at commercial membrane roofing. Low upkeep, no gravel to screw with, and with the deck bare you can add a layer of hi-density insulation under it if needed.

Reply to
aemeijers