Sweeping off, Re-tarring and re-gravelling roof.

Roof 40 year old, single storey, 62 by 39 feet (2480 sq.ft), simple shed style low slope bungalow.

No valleys or dormers etc. Three roof apertures; brick chimney stack,

3" vent pipe and 2.5" electric service mast. Max. slope about 3 in 19 feet. Easy roof to access, driveway access to edge of roof.

Following site visit by a roofing contractor; received quote for a) Re- tarring, repairs to edge flashing, repair to chimney flashing at a total cost equivalent to about $2.70 US per sq.foot.

Alternatively; b) Complete tear off and new hot torch roof, replacement of all edge flashing etc. at close to $5.50 per sq. foot.

Roofing contractor has good reputation and was recommended by area school board maintenance Supt. after performing considerable amount of similar work, mainly on flat roofed school buildings.

Welcome any opinions on how these numbers look. The roof is not giving any trouble nor has any leaks. But it is 40 years old. It is not the type of work nor have we the equipment, that as a retiree in mid 70s, with friends and/or family we could perform ourselves.

The only other type of roof in common use here are are bitumen shingled. But these are/were not for low slope roofs such as the above.

Many thanks.

Reply to
terry

Standing seam metal, or rubber membrane roof, would outlast any traditional flat/low-slope roofing material. (If that matters to you...) You can also add a layer of foam under a membrane roof, which will make house feel cooler. Membrane in a light color will reflect sun as well as gravel or marble chips will, and no gravel needed. I haven't seen (or smelled) torches or a tar kettle used on roofs around here in at least

10 years.
Reply to
aemeijers

Terry, I would sure be tempted to go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it . . " school on this one. I would ask the roofer for his advice. Pump him up about the recommendation from the school board buddy, and ask him to advise you like you were his dad/grandpa.

Here are some facts and questions which may help you: Why are you needing repairs to the gravel guard and chimney flashing? This roof might be a coal tar pitch roof which is self healing virtually forever. Is it a ballasted roof (rocks) or is it a slick top? The best way to increase the R-value of a flat roof would be to install polyiso under new roofing. This would require all new edge metal and counterflashing. You could have the stone removed and add a new felt and flood coat. If you are going to re-roof, ask about modified bitumen or TPO rather than asphalt.

Reply to
DanG