gravelling a drive

my drive is currently tarmac - doesn't look great so thinking about putting gravel down.

one concern though - gravelling straight on top of tarmac - could this cause a problem with cars wheel spinning and sending stones everywhere? - something that may not happen if you gravelled onto a muddy surface??

Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
LongYP

surface??

Paul,

About 12 years ago I was 'headhunted' and had to move in a hurry - the company were going to buy my house at the average of 3 valuations but although the house was ok the tarmac in/out horseshoe drive looked a mess. As a very quick fix I had two lorry loads of gravel dumped on it and raked out smooth - looked absolutely great. The irony was that the company I worked for then made a better counter offer and I'm still in the same house. 12 years on it still looks good but needs raking a couple of time a year, and the neighbours pine tree is a pest as the needles are hard to clear up. One big side effect of this is that I can hear people approaching the door - useful security device!. You do need a 'threshold' (mine are a row of slightly proud pavier bricks) where the drive meets the pavement.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for this.

Security Device - yes much needed - people have made there way straight into the house (ok they are relatives) without us hearing a thing - gravel will sort them out - also will stop the dog charging down the drive threatening anyone who walks by

Reply to
LongYP

If you park a car and it's stuck in a bit of a rut then yes it's quite easy when pulling away for the gravel to give way and create another rut but that's a general characteristic of a gravel drive.

Reply to
adder1969

You might need some locks on your doors and windows!

Reply to
mark

Don't do it! Gravel is horrible stuff. It's slippery and will spread everywhere.

Sorry. Gravel is one of my pet hates ;-)

M.

Reply to
Mark

In article , LongYP writes

A couple of other options,

  1. bonded gravel- a coat of bitumen scattered with gravel excess removed than repeated, looks like gravel but is stuck down.
  2. Rejuvenate your tarmac, various products on the market but will bring up your tarmac looking like new

HTH

Reply to
David

That must be why all the best country houses use it.

A blockpave devotee ?

-
Reply to
Mark