Chimney sweeping query

Just tried sweeping the chimney in our recently reopened fireplace. Very small amount of soot came down, no mortar, half-bricks or birds' nests. Brush goes up easily enough but, with 9 rods inserted and one still to go, it seems to be hitting something near the top. Tried it twice with brush and once more with brush removed and just rods but doesn't seem to want to go further.

Background: 1930s two storey semi, fire (unused) in bedroom above. (Neighbours reopened theirs last year, sweep inspected and said it was in good nick and didn't need lining.)

Photo of pots here:

sure which of the two is the downstairs fire, although could presumably confirm with smoke pellet.

The chimney veers to the right above the opening, and the narrower upstairs fire is on the right of the wider downstairs one (is that the opposite of what you'd expect?)

Is Pot 2 likely open at the top or is the idea that smoke comes out of the slots at the side?

Anything else I could/should try before calling in the sweep?

Reply to
mike

For what it cost me last time, I'd call in the sweep and see what he says.

If the smoke from a pellet all goes up the flue, and you can feel a slight updraught without a fire, I'd try a few bits of offcut wood first and see what happened.

Reply to
John Williamson