roof vent on garage roof

Our garage roof has no vents (the shingles curl up pretty bad periodically)! Should I install soffit and roof vents? If yes, how many? Which side should a roof vent be? north or south? Is one roof vent enough?
Howie
Our garage roof has no vents (the shingles curl up pretty bad periodically)!

Heat can seriously damage your roofing. If you have no ceiling, you could install a turbine vent at peak of roof, using formula for area to be cooled, to size the turbine. Then leave main door open a few inches for incoming air. If your garage has a sheetrock ceiling, then soffit vents plus passive wind turbine, or electric thermostatic fan might help cool the area. Insulation between rafters could also be employed, if not already there. This will help keep the roof cooler, and help the hot air bybass the decking under the roof..

periodically)!
Install soffit vents and (a must) a ridge vent.

I already bought three soffit vents, and one roof vent (not a ridge vent). Should I take back the roof vent and buy a ridge vent? Should I just pick up another roof vent? I don't really want to hack up the entire length of the ridge of the roof for a ridge vent.

Re your question, now I am over my depth. Suggest you ask your original question, plus elements of this one, on newsgroup alt.hvac (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning).
Howie wrote:

You need vent(s) at the highest part of the roof. There are several options. Then you need vents lower to let air in. In this case they can be at the soffits, or even better lower above any snow level. I suggest totally passive venting (no electric or wind powered fans).
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
the garage is approx. 22' x 22', insulated ceiling and walls (fibreglass pink), attic get very hot in summer. South side has a 24' overhang, north side has only 6' overhang.

periodically)!
Howie wrote:

Yea, soffit and roof vents with the roof vents as close as possible to the top of the roof.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math