Removing AC Wall units - how should I fill the hole?

Hi all,

I'm trudging through the woes of my first rental property. The previous owner had recently installed central air but left 2 old and dusty AC units in the wall. What is the best way to go about patching the holes when I remove the units? I need a three or four year fix. I was thinking about installing two thick pieces of plywood on either side and them securing them with 4 toggle bolts and then sealing with silicon and then painting. My other option is to call a professional, which would make more sense. What type of solutions should I look for. Drywall on the interior would be nice and smooth, but how would all of this take place?

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stewart

Your first concern is excluding water and air. You don't mention the exterior siding... Add 2x4 nailers within opening to position sheathing patch. Patch in a piece of sheathing with outer face matching plane of existing sheathing. sealant at edges would help. Patch in a piece of building paper lapped to shed water to complete that system. Add insulation in cavity. Patch in interior finish. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

That would look ugly. You should fix it so that it is undetectable that the wall A/C unit was never there. On the interior this might include doing some drywall and painting an entire wall (still no big deal IMO). On the outside I can't say what that would entail because you have provided no details.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Thanks for the input. The wall is concrete block.

Reply to
Steve Stewart

You should have mentioned this in your original post. In any event. a bag of Sakrete mason mix and some concrete blocks spliced into the hole will work just fine. Rent a diamond blade saw to size the blocks the way you want them. Get a book on masonry projects to learn some elementary techniques. Some plaster mix on the interior will finish the job. A pro bricklayer and a helper can do the pair in day if you find it too frightening. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

patching

professional,

I think the first concern should be to make sure the holes in the wall where done properly in the first place using a header otherwise removing the units and not filling the gap adequately may lead to more serious damage.

JMO

Dan O.

Reply to
Dan O.