Roof replacement

Does installing a new roof involve replacing the plywood to which the roof tiles are attached as well as all the flashings? or just rip up the tiles and replace with new? Can hurricane straps be installed when replacing an existing roof?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

It can, but that is not the utual method and will be spelled out if needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

BTW, we had the new tiles just put over the old ones. In our parts only 2-3 layers allowed. And it overheats.

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

How can you apply new tiles on top of old tiles? You talking about shingles? Mine are concrete tiles.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Well I have a leak somewhere. The ceiling is stained along one of the exterior walls. Of course, it's a tight spot where you can't get to in the attic, and the deck from below does not provide clue where the leak came from (any spot higher can have a leak that end up flowing to that spot), and I had three people came by over the years and they cannot pin point it. So I thought if I am going to redo the roof, I may replace the deck to solve the problem or it may be an overkill, and for all I know, it may be the turbine allowing water in during a bad storm.

MC

Check your local code re: straps, roofing, etc.

Reply to
miamicuse

A new roof doesn't require replacing plywood unless there is damage to existing roof deck or your roofer is a crook. Take a look at the underneath, from attic, if you can, to look for signs of leaks, nail misses or warped deck. There should be a statement in the job bid that addresses price and materials if new decking is needed. Sometimes don't know until they pull off the old roofing.

Replacing the roof would be the time to consider installing hurricane straps - all depends on the configuration and accessibility of existing structure and if it requires opening the roof deck...

One surprise for me in the last storm was that concrete roof tiles can blow away! Wow! We had a roofing problem that turned out to be a blessing in disguise ... shingles kept falling off. Roofer was back several times, and then, finally, did a major rework where they put adhesive under all the tabs. Neighbors lost a lot of shingles last year, and we lost only a very few.

I just found a good storm tip which I want to explore - a backflow preventer for sewer. We are on "low" end of condo sewer pipe, between main and the rest of the condo units. Discovered that recently when the main line plugged up and both of our toilets backed up.

This website has some good tips:

your local code re: straps, roofing, etc.

Reply to
Norminn

Replacing the deck won't solve the problem. Water is not supposed to reach the deck. Period. This is not an option on a good roofing job.

If you have damage to the deck from water, a portion may have to be replaced. That is a different issue.

The leak may be poor flashing, gaps in tiles or shingles, etc. The deck is not the problem, just a part of the roof that gets damaged from it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tarberglas over Tarsbestos