Reventing Fridge

My fridge vents from underneath which wreaks havoc on the linoleum on the summer (warping it). I want to redirect the vent. And my first thought is to slice a PVC pipe in half and vent it to one side then perhaps a full pipe upwards. Is there a more "elegant" (prefab) solution?

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

You may not want to do that. At least in some fridges the warm air is vented over or around a tray that collects the melted frost water under the fridge and is used to evaporate it. If it does not get evaporated, then it will start overflowing onto your floor.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Best to get a new unit that has the coils on the back, rather than venting from underneath.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

What a nightmare THAT was. When my mom was alive she refused to let us put in a fridge that didn't fit perfectly in the opening like the old one. So the old one lasted 36yrs. (I know this is baseless superstition, but when we put in one that didn't fit perfectly after she died, the brand new fridge seized and stopped working less thana week after installation. The new one fits perfectly!)

Of course, the other route is to replace the linoleum with something more substantial, like marble tile.

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Excellent point to consider, thanks!

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:24:23 +0000 (UTC) snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com posted:

I agree with your mother. It should look right.

Mine is 26 years old now and hasn't got a scratch on it. A mouse got caught in the fan and I was afraid it would overheat in the 4 weeks before I got around to fixing it, but it didn't.

3 months later, the fan stopped again. It only took me a week this time, and it was a piece of foam rubber.

I don't get it. My Sears model has the coils on the bottom, and the fan on the bottom, and some tray on the bottom, so I guess it vents on the bottom (if there is a vent) and my vinyl linoleum looks no different from anywhere.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman