roof repair

I am a first time home owner, and we have live in our new home just under a year. The roof was supposed to be only about a year old when we bought the house last year. We have home owners warranty/insurance from the previous owners. I called the company and they said to called a roofer for an estimate and then call them back. I am totally inexperienced. Where do I begin ....? Please help. Thanks

Reply to
jakobs wife

"jakobs wife" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.HomeRepairForums.org...

Look in the Yellow Pages for Roofing Contractor. Or ask neighbors who did their roof. Get an estimate. Then call back the insurance company.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You had the home inspected before you bought it, right? If you didn't, I would start by hiring a home inspector to find out what's wrong with the roof as well as the rest of the house. Fixing a few simple things early can save you big bucks down the road.

Reply to
trader4

Roof leaks can be caused by many things from storm damage to poor flashing, or clogged gutters. The way you ask the question seems to suggest that you are not really the DIY type so a consultation with a reliable roofer is in order.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I was just in the same boat as you...roof was not great when I bought it, and as the years went by shingles were flying off all over the place.

Yesterday I had 900 sq feet done (a second layer) for $1675, which was essentially 3/4 of the roof. (The rest was ok.)

I spoke to everyone I knew for suggetions - my nextdoor neighbor who works construction suggested a guy he works with - I called him and he came down Sat to look at the roof, gave me as estimate later that day, and had 3 of his men come down yesterday (yes, Sunday) to bang out the job. I also talked him down from $2100.

You don't mention what is wrong with the roof. Leaks? rotted shingles? Holes?

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20