RJ45 to (2) RJ11 cables

I have a 4 line phone that has two RJ11 jacks on the back. I have an RJ45 jack on the wall that has four phone lines running on the four pairs. I am looking to buy a cable that has a single RJ45 clip on one end and two RJ11 clips (one jack for line 1 and line 2 the other jack for line 3 and line 4) on the other end. I could make them out of CAT5 cable but it wouldn't look too nice. Does anyone know where to get such a thing? I only want one cable from the wall to the phone.

Reply to
Corbett

Technically, the various RJ designations are supposed to be related to a wiring scheme, not the physical connectors, but we've kind of corrupted that over the years...

So, what we typically refer to as RJ45 should really be referred to as 8P8C (8 position, 8 conductor)... RJ14 can be either 4P4C or 4P2C and RJ11 can be

6P4C or 6P2C... RJ12 is 6P6C...

It seems that you're wanting to convert from an 8P8C to two 6P4C (or perhaps

4P4C) connectors...

There are flat wire 8-conductor wires, so perhaps you can make one out of it instead of normal CAT5 cable... You might be able to find a splitter that plug into the 8P8C wall outlet and convert it to two 4P4C or 6P4C sockets... You would then run two normal phone cables from your outlet to your phone... You might also be able to find a splitter with a female 8P8C connector on it which would allow you to run a flat 8 conductor phone cable to the device and then two short 4 conductor phone cables from the splitter to the phone... Another choice might be to replace the 8P8C wall socket with two

4P4C or 6P4C sockets and then run two standard phone cables to the phone...

Sometimes, things that you think should be available just aren't... Or they're so difficult to find, it's easier to build your own... I was looking for an inline mute button for a standard handset phone awhile back and couldn't find one, so I bought a handset cord coupler, opened it, and installed a very small toggle switch inline on the mic line...

Reply to
Grumman-581

If I understand you correctly, you wish a cable with 1 end a RJ-45 male and the other 2 RJ-11 males. (I take 'clip' to mean male).

I think you can indeed make a presentable cable out of 4 pair cable by using some heat shrink at the phone end where you break out

2+2 pairs > I have a 4 line phone that has two RJ11 jacks on the back. I have an
Reply to
Bennett Price

Agreed..

Close..

The 4 position jacks are used for handsets, and have no RJ designations.

RJ11 is 1 pair POTS on a 6p2c (or 6p4c or 6p6c) RJ12 and RJ13 are 1 pair POTS + A-Lead on a 6p4c (or 6p6c) RJ14 is 2 pair POTS on a 6p4c (or 6p6c) RJ25 is 3 pair POTS on a 6p6c

RJ61 is 4 pair POTS on a 8p8c, but is wired to the USOC standard, not compatible with EIA/TIA 568

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service

I'd build one out of a cat5 patch cord, with some heat shrink tubing, and a pair of 6p4c plugs.. I'd stick with the 568 standard, and treat the jack as if it was wired 568A (if it's wired 568B, then you swap pairs 2/3).

strip a few inches of jacket off one end of the cat5 cable, slip a short piece of shrink tubing over pairs 1/2, and shrink it right at the jacket. slip a larger piece of shrink tubing over the cables, and slip it back out of the way. trim the wires for pairs 1/2, and crimp on a 6p4c plug. repeat for 3/4, adjusting for length. slip the larger shrink tubing over the junction between jackst and tubing, and shrink.

you can choose to do a Y, or a offset, where the cable goes to one jack, and then 2 pairs jump over to the second jack.

another option is to mount a small 8p8c biscuit on the jack of the phone, and run a set of jumpers from there..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan
[snip]

4P4C is what's used for telephone handsets. I've heard several RJx numbers used for that, including RJ11H, RJ12, and RJ22. This is the first time I've heard RJ14. [snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've heard RJ22.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I bet you are going to find one of those sockets in the phone has both lines on it so all you really need is an RJ45 to RJ11 (RJ14) cable. That will give you line 1 & 2 (blue and orange). I may have one I can mail you if you don't have one. They were shipped with old modems. A regular 6 pin to 6 pin will work but it will move around too much in the 8 pin socket to be reliable.

Reply to
gfretwell

The way he described it, it seems that there are two lines on each RJ11/14 coming into the phone...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Googling that designation turns up a whole pile of hits for 4p4c connectors, but they all look like catalog listings, and not from any of the companies that know better.

supposedly RJ22X is is up to 12 bridged T/R + A-lead ahead of a key system, on a 50 position ribbon connector. A multi-line version of RJ12.

Bob Vaughan

You are right, I missed that. He is either going to be making a special cable or replacing the wall plate with 2 RJ14s

Reply to
gfretwell

Thank you all for the suggestions. Basically you confirmed that I'm going to be making these cables rather than buying them. The heat shrink idea is a good one and will make the cables hold up better.

Reply to
Corbett