replacing heating element on Kenmore electric dryer

I want to replace the heating element on a Kenmore electric dryer, model #65451.
The heating element is in a metal housing that attaches to the rear of the dryer.
I've got the element loose, but I can't slide it out, because it hits the bottom of the dryer.
Doesn't seem to be a way to loosen the housing that holds the element.
Bob Immler wrote:

i dont have an elect. dryer, just gas.. but bet its the drum that has to come out so you can get the metal case out for the front????? had to do that when taking out the metal box for the heat shute par by the blower wheel.. no way to get it out from the back.. but with the top open and the drum removed it came out easy.... probably the same problem....
Hi Bob,
You'll see a 5/16" hex-head screw and strap at the top of the element 'can', that hold it to the bulkhead. Bottom of the can has 2 notches that fit over mating bullkhead tabs.
I use a little 1/4" drive socket wrench and 5/16" socket to remove this mounting screw. On most of these dryers, there's an access hole for a long driver - usually covered by the wiring diagram - that you can look through to line up your wrench. After you do a few hundred of them, you won't even have to look, though <grin>.
Once the can's out, it's just that single screw that holds the element in.
BTW, I have these elements on sale right now for $18.50 plus $5.50 Priority Mail (2 day avg). You can see a picture of one in my Ebay store. (They're reg. $26.50 in the store, but the sale price via auction or direct this month is $18.50).
www.stores.ebay.com/DavesRepairService
Hope that helps.
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404