Replacing Fan Motor - AC condenser unit

Page 2 of 2

As far as the replacement motor (ex. Grainger)...it will (most likely) be a half-shaft/easy-on. Tighten securely.
: The motor that spins the fan on the condenser unit outside my home : seized up today. I noticed that house fan was running, but cold air was : not blowing out the vents for the central air. When I went outside to : check the condenser unit the fan was not spinning, the motor was : humming, and was extremely hot to the touch.
: I thought I had heard a squealing sound over the past couple weeks when : the AC unit would start in the early morning sometime, so I assume the : bearings in the fan motor seized. Is fixing this as straight forward as : buying a replacement motor, removing the old motor, and attaching the : fan to the new motor? Or is it likely that when the fan motor died it : took out other components with it (such as condenser coil or compressor)?
: The specs I read off the side of the current motor: : Emerson : Model #: KA55HXCRK-9885 : Part #: 8101-551 : Volt: 230/208 : Hz: 60 : Amp: 1.7 : PH 1
: I think motors like these would be replacements: : http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm/productID/453055553/p/Emerson_3851 : http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm/productID/453055555/p/Emerson_3852 : http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm/productID/453055554/p/Emerson_6880
: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Another thing to consider replacing is the starter cap.
On Jul 13, 1:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net wrote:

Most likely a run capacitor!
replying to Beowulf, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

I would look at amazon local or groupon for a discounted ac tune up. Be forewarned, most of them will sell you the parts needed at 150-300 each. A new system will run you about 7500 dollars to 11,000 dollars( depending on tonnage for your sized house ). If you just want the thing running, do the part replacement, and hope it does not die out before you sell it, but if you plan to live in the house longer, then do the upgrade, since other parts are going to be reaching the end of their lifespan. You might also do some preventive maintenance , use a shop vac to suck out the condensate line annually, that is the tubing that sticks out from the house, and lets the moisture from the system drain out, as the air is cooled
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 00:44:04 +0000, Sid in Sacramento

There's no reason to think that. My AC lasted about 27 years with no need for servicing. The OP is probably not reading but he should just replace the motor and he's good to go

Except now that you mention it, I did have problems with the condensate line. Worked fine for 5 years, then wouldn't drain. Went down an inch or 2, then over to the wall, then to the floor, then along the wall to the near the sump, then to the sump. I blew it out but it made no difference. I flushed it out and the water poured out full blast but it made no difference. No insects. I finally rerouted it so it went down 18 inches at the start, then the same as it used to be. Worked fine after that.
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:44:07 PM UTC-4, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

First, the post you're replying to is 8 years old. Second, since the poster clearly identified the failed component as a frozen condenser fan, why should he call a service guy?

Just because am $85 fan motor goes, he should scrap the whole thing? Good grief. This AHR, not alt.let's.get.hosed.