replacing bathroom fan

Hi,

I'm replacing a bathroom fan but having trouble. I can get the wing-nut off that holds the reflector/bulb plate. But i can only see a nail holding the rest of the unit to a stud. I do not have access to the fan from above, only below. should i only remove the fan unit, and leave the original metal frame?

thanks for any help!

Reply to
Terry

If you can figure out how to do that, then do it. You may get lucky and find out that just oiling the fan motor bearings and cleaning out any dust that's packed in gets it working again, or that it's a design that's still available for sale and you can buy a whole new one and just swap in the fan assembly.

If not, you know what's next.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Try grinding the nail head off with a dremel (or equivelent). Sometimes the nail can be pulled if you have just the right tool. Many fans are secured with additional nails and screws not accessible from inside, you may or may not get it out easily this way.

Worse case, you need to break out a little cieling and patch later.

Reply to
PipeDown

It's very likely he's gonna have to do that anyhow. I've been looking at bath fans and everyone I've seen is made to install either in new construction or where you have access from above, ie attic, etc. In other words, it's larger than the final opening that you have in the ceiling.

Reply to
trader4