replacing bathroom fan

Hi,
I'm replacing a bathroom fan but having trouble. I can get the wing-nut off that holds the reflector/bulb plate. But i can only see a nail holding the rest of the unit to a stud. I do not have access to the fan from above, only below. should i only remove the fan unit, and leave the original metal frame?
thanks for any help!
Terry wrote:

If you can figure out how to do that, then do it. You may get lucky and find out that just oiling the fan motor bearings and cleaning out any dust that's packed in gets it working again, or that it's a design that's still available for sale and you can buy a whole new one and just swap in the fan assembly.
If not, you know what's next.
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

PipeDown wrote:

It's very likely he's gonna have to do that anyhow. I've been looking at bath fans and everyone I've seen is made to install either in new construction or where you have access from above, ie attic, etc. In other words, it's larger than the final opening that you have in the ceiling.