Replacing a cracked window

Page 2 of 2

I'm not positive that was it. The screen was still intact, and the cracks radiate from a point right at the very edge of the glass.
Either way, $130 isn't a big deal. I'll let the glass guy decide if it's a warranty issue or not.

Yup. It's not too expensive if you can find a good glass guy to replace the unit (versus the window).

Yes, and you don't need a local supplier to actually make the unit. Just a good local guy who knows how to measure and spec the unit. He needs a good (proven) supplier and he needs to know how to install the thing properly.
There a still quite a few around but, if you find a good glass guy, save his phone number for next time. Friends and neighbors will thank you too.
BTW, chances are he'll replace your car windshield for a good price if the need arises down the road ;-)
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 10:42:31 -0600, Mitch@_._ wrote:

    I have several shops close by that will replace the insulated glass same day. Bring it in by 10 Am pick it up after 2PM My windows and I believe most today come out easily and you can just bring it in and save quite a bit.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yeah, but some folks hate handling glass, me included!
Many years ago, following an accident with a single pane window, I went to a local glass shop.
These people were totally geared to serving folks who had just experienced a "glass disaster".
"Come on in, take a seat and have a nice cup of tea" the man said. He calmly took me through the measurements, made sure I had *all* of the materials to install the new glass. Then he gave me excellent detailed instructions on the installation including some great tips.
Meanwhile, another worker had cut my glass to size. As he held it out for me, I looked a little apprehensive and he said "Would you like me to load it into your vehicle for you?". I responded in the affirmative, with considerable relief!
30 years later and I still remember it well. What a fabulous example of a business understanding their customers and truly serving them ;-)
These people really understood that many of the clients walking through their door were under considerable stress and proceeded accordingly. That's what I call brilliant!