Removing Moen Shower Handle

I have a Moen faucet in our shower and I want to replace the handle which has cracked. This type of valve has one handle (tear drop shaped) that you pull out to control the water flow and then rotate to control the water temperature. The house was built in 1988 and it is the origonal faucet.
To remove the handle, you pop off a face plate and remove a single screw. The problem I am having is that the screw is not unthreading, but the cartridge is rotating inside the valve. In other words, I can control the water temperature by turning the screw.
Is there a trick I don't know about? I tried pushing the handle in (i.e. shutting the water off) while turning the screw, but that didn't work. I was going to try pulling out while turning the screw, but I didn't want to try that until I was able to shut off the water, and I just ran out of time.
Any tips? Thanks.
As I recall (I used to have many Moens in my house), the brass shaft going into the plastic handle is D shaped to keep it from turning separately from the handle itself. Sounds like your plastic handle might be stripped out, i.e. the D shaped hole in the plastic handle is now rounded. I would probably sacrifice the plastic handle, expecially if the cartridge seems to be working ok.
Rileyesi wrote:

Talking to Moen recently, they said to (pull upward) fairly hard, on the lever, then try the screw. It's supposed to "lock" the handle in place so you can get at things. Best--- Ron

has
pull
temperature.
The