Removing linoleum and adhesive from a kitchen floor

I will be removing the linoleum( and the adhesive/glue that held the linoleum in place) from a kitchen floor in a home built in 1924. Underneath the linoleum is a oak hardwood floor that I will be having professionally refinished. I know that because of asbestos I need to wear a quality filtering device and I also plan to work work goggles to protect my eyes.
What techniques/tools/etc will work best for removing the linoleum and the adhesive? Both need to be completly removed our the floor refinishing company will not go ahead on refinishing the floors.
Also I hope to be able to do the removal in such a way that it does not damage the underneath wood floor. Some scratching,etc of the floor would be okay(since the refinishing will involve sanding/etc), but any deep gouging,etc would be a problem.
Thanks for all of your assistance,
Bob

Asbestos is not that much of a concern unless it breaks into tiny pieces and floats in the air. Asbestos tile will probably come up in chunks with a floor scraper. The glue is ugly and the box stores have glue remover. A lot like paint stripper. It is messy and wear long gloves.
Bob wrote:

or use a heat gun. That worked for me.

Just did this. House circa 1927. Took most of the old lino up with a floor scraper. The old adhesive was a tarry black material known as cutback. I ended up using a bucket of hot soapy water and a quality Sandvik scraper. Soaked the cutback for a few minutes (2'x2' at a time) and scraped it off. Water proved to be a better solvent than all the acetone / mineral spirits type products I tried. I then sanded it with a floor sander to expose the highly distressed, but IMO, attractive old pine floor.
Here are a couple pics:
http://www.elementcasting.com/rem-floor1.jpg
http://www.elementcasting.com/rem-sandfloor1.jpg