Removing floor tiles (linoleum)

The linoleum floor tiles (12" square) on my pressboard floor are breaking up at the joint lines. It seems I will have to remove them, as well as the inlaid linoleum glued down in my kitchen. How does one remove these glued down coverings? Heat? Do professionals do this?

Reply to
Nick Hull

You can rent or buy a tile removing blade its a heavy sharp blade on a pole. First try a flat blade shovel if you have one, sharpening the blade will make it work better.

Reply to
m Ransley

You may have to use a heat gun. I have had floors that a shovel or flat blade "hoe" would not work on.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Same here...I had to take off the brittle stuff (fortunately a small area) inch by inch with a putty knife, utility knives, etc---whatever worked. Then I got down to the nitty-gritty: tar-like black adhesive that had hardened over 50 years to a nearly stony consistency. I was beginning to see why I couldn't find anyone to take on the job! Finally a combination of strong solvents (lots of ventilation) and elbow grease got the hideous stuff off, then I cleaned the underlying concrete. I decided to leave it as it was (I think it was originally a food preparing area) since most of it would be covered by a big plant etagere and the blue, cream and brown encaustic tiles which framed the concrete would show nicely. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec