Old Double Hung Windows w/Insulated Glass

Planning on removing original glass and altering some old good quality double hung window sashes to accommodate 1/2 or 5/8 thick double pane insulated glass. Sashes are quite thick for the routing process so that will work fine. Question is what are the option for sealing the outside of the glass other than glazing compound? I know there are guys that do this alteration as a business out of their trucks with a shop inside but none in my area. How do they seal the glass? Thanks. Art

Reply to
Art Stewart

This is not answering your question directly, but you don't have to use double-pane glass. There is a type of glass (I forgot the name right now) constructed by inserting a sheet of lexan between two pieces of glass, rather than an air gap. It's supposedly great for noise reduction and insulates well, too. It's also not 1/2" thick. It's often used in these scenarios. Talk to a glass shop and they will also answer the question you posted.

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

"Laminated glass". I doubt that it's lexan, although it's probably some sort of UV and/or IR blocking polycarbonate.

Reply to
default

Could you describe the windows to me in more detail? I'm assuming that they are made out of wood. How big are they? Are they sliders (side to side) or conventional windows that open up an down? What thickness of glass is in there now?

Reply to
Ron