Removing Linoleum Glue

Utility room has a concrete floor, part of which was/is covered with linoleum. Wife wants to replace it with, probably, some kind of linoleum type tiles.

Looking for a good way to removed the original glue and the bits of the linoleun backing that are stuck to it. Sanding is out because it might contain asbestos.

Glue is in swirls. I've read that boiling water may soften it and that krud Kutter would remove it. Acetone doesn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, how smooth does the floor need to be if the new covering is to be some kind of linoleum? (It is a utility room after all...)

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
Saml

"Saml" wrote in news:frydnTFQSKAQV0LZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Read this Q&A:

mentions of Krud Cutter.

Maybe you inherited what you have. Hope you didn't pull up a fairly intact floor. With linoleum/vinyl, you only need to cut away any loose, curled, bubbles flush with the rest of the linoleum.

Skim coat the floor with portland cement based Armstrong S-184 filling in any recesses including the recesses in the old linoleum pattern.

Over time, traffic will cause any recesses to show through the new covering. Try to get it as good as possible. It's an opportunity to learn from your experience in a utility room!

Reply to
Al Bundy

Look like the same article I read. I had a suspicion the author was a salesperson for Krud Kutter...

I don't think so. The linoleum was laid around a counter, which we discovered when we removed the counter, so we had a 2x8' strip of cement.

So just tiling over existing linoleum is the trick if it is well stuck down?

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
Saml

I used ppaint stripper, try a small area

Reply to
hallerb

"Saml" wrote in news:NIqdndUso9T8hXzZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I never used tiles/strips.

What I have done, twice, is put sheet vinyl (not linoleum) over existing sheet vinyl (probably vinyl, not linoleum) in two bathrooms. I did this as previously mentioned. It looked great. Long term results unknown as the house was sold. I saw it for about a year and it was like the day it was installed.

Whether vinyl tiles/stips need different considerations, I really can't say and don't want to mislead you.

There are a couple mentions of tiles/stripping here that may prompt you to check further.

Al Bundy

How about Bosch itself. I just got a new logic board for my Gaggenau dishwasher (shares parts with Bosch and I believe is owned by them) through the Bosch-Gaggenau parts center of Bosch. They were very helpful and shipped parts out promptly.

Reply to
blueman