Tile over linoleum?

We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab. We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Reply to
Owlman

Movement? I would be concerned about that. Cracks are entirely different.

I would remove the old floor, prep the concrete. Patch the crack, (assuming again), then the mud for the new tile.

Reply to
SQLit

Hey Owlman, no disrepect, but this topic has been covered HUNDREDS of times here. Simply go to Google and search the news group from there...I bet you find your answer.

Er

Reply to
EggRaid

from

Installing Tile Over Vinyl Or Linoleum Floor Coverings

Installing ceramic tile directly to vinyl or linoleum surfaces should be avoided whenever possible. Install at your own risk.

If you are concerned that your vinyl or linoleum flooring may contain asbestos fibers we recommend that you have it tested before attempting to remove it. For more information on asbestos, please refer to Asbestos In Your Home provided by the EPA.

In any case, vinyl or linoleum flooring must be a non-cushioned type and securely attached to the subfloor. Subfloor construction should consist of double layered, 1-1/8" thick, exterior grade plywood installed over floor joists spaced a maximum of 16" on center. The maximum allowable concentrated deflection of the subfloor may not exceed L/360 of the span.

If the floor covering does not contain asbestos fibers we recommend that the surface be scarified or sanded to provide a rougher surface for the thinset mortar to bond to.

Install ceramic tile using a latex modified thinset mortar approved by the manufacturer for installation over vinyl and linoleum surfaces.

Reply to
effi

As long as the vinyl is securly glued down it will make a great barrier between the cement cracks and the tile. I worked for a builder that installed vinyl before he installed tile and cut his "call backs" by 90%+-! I have also installed tile over vinyl several times and have had no problems, including in my own home. If the vinyl is loose near the edges you can just cut these areas out. The tile mastic that is used to glue the tile down will fill in the removed areas.

AZCRAIG

cm

I agree with you. The linoleum will absorb some of the movement before it cracks the tile. And it is a real labor saver!

Reply to
PJX