remote control question

I have an old Mitsubishi Tv and the remote control does not work. The only way to add cable TV stations is through the menu of the remote control. Can I use any universal remote control to add the stations or it has to be a Mitsubishi remote?
thanks

Any new universal remote will have a list of TV's and their respective remote codes. Most will have a feature to automatically detect it as well

That's what makes them universal, but otoh, special keys on the original remote may not be duplicated on universals. If this ever or often affects the Menu command, I don't know.
I do have a tv, different brand but I forget which, which came without a remote, and the yard sale. Eventually I was using 2 or even 3 remotes depending on which function I wanted to control . After that, I found one remote by the maker of the tv that controlled everything, except for Menu. This may have nothing to do with your situation, but it's somewhat similar.

I have an older Mitsubishi too, and the universal doesn't do some of the functions, such as picture in picture and menu.
Cheri

BTW, the remote has a Menu button, but it doesn't do anything. Fortunately there is a menu button on the tv itself, which works fine, though I never use it.

So what's the consensus? Do all universals have the same set of commands, or are some brands different from others? If Cheri's universal doesn't do Menu, does that mean that none will?

Cheri wrote:

Discovered this myself yesterday when we had a power outage and TV defaults were set on re-powering and I needed to switch from normal TV to CATV using a new universal remote. Fortunately the set itself had the button on it.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:23:35 -0500, Frank

A quick way to test the remote is to view the optic with a digital camera. You will see the remote flash on the camera if remote is OK. For your information should you wish. Jesse

Try WWW.RemoteCentral.com as they have an extensive library of remote codes, manuals and people on the forums who may be able to help you.

Our DVD remote was destroyed when the batteries leaked. I was able to program our cable box remote auxiliary function to run our DVD. If you have a cable remote control have you tried to program it?

Lots of replies assuming the remote is bad. Maybe. Maybe not. It could be the TV.
Charlie
rogv wrote:

Hi, First you'll have to decide which part is bad. remote hand held or the sensor on the TV set. If hand held part is bad, you'll have to find a universal one which already has your TV set on the compatibility list. You can't make any universal remote to learn yours 'cause it is dead.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, Also I know there is a place you can buy a specific remote(guranteeed to work) on-line. I once found a high end Denon micro audio system original remote from them. Price was not bad. They were either in Oregon or Washington.
Tony Hwang wrote:

if you come across the name of that place please post, I am still trying to find a working remote for my Sony big screen
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi, www.remotes.com
Tony Hwang wrote:

*sigh*
no longer available... figures. was worth a shot though, thanks.
nate
--
Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi, www.mrremotes.com This place repair them. Pay only when repaired;.