Remote control outdoor lighting?

Page 1 of 4
I have an idea for outdoor security lighting. I'd like to mount a number of regular incandescent lights to illuminate the place like a prison yard under certain circumstances. I want a normal wall switch someplace, probably near one of the doors. But, I'd also like to be able to kick the lights on by remote control from the bedside. Based on the plan I have in mind, the system would need to handle about 3000 watts worth of bulbs. Can't seem to locate the hardware needed to do this. Anyone know of a source?
www.smarthome.com X-10

The problem with using an x-10 motion sensor is that after a preset time, any sensor that has "expired" sends the OFF signal, and all of the outdoor floodlights would turn off, even if you sent the on command yourself, rather than automatically.
I would use standard motion sensors and wire them up on a 3-wire system, with the 3rd switchleg connected common to every motion sensor's output and every bulb. Then you can connect up to 300 watts (or more depending on the brand of sensors) of compact flourescent floodlight bulbs. (About 12-15 CFL'S with the equivalant output of 10 150 watt incandescent floodlights)
A 2-wire cable between the black & red could act as a instant-on "bypass" to activate the lights whenever needed and keep them on.

I don't want motion sensors. Just two switches: One on the wall, and one remote control. Motion sensors will become annoying when *I* want to step outside and enjoy the sky.
On 11 Nov 2004 21:59:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

The post didn't mention motion sensors. A simple X-10 controller could do the job just fine.
Jeff

Then simply mounting 1 halogen (3-500 watts) per standard wall switch module anywhere convenient will afford local control of each light.
Then a couple of hardwired controllers in ideal places (bedside, near door) with 1 rocker switch.
All modules set to same address.
They use a 3 pole 30a contactor to control the lights in model homes, one pole per 15a circuit controlled. (100% overkill on the contacts) That would control 4350 watts of lights with 3 zones @ 80%.
Paranoid huh...

Umm....no. It's called smart. I was awakened two weeks back by running footsteps outside the bedroom at 3:00 AM. The running stopped, a brief conversation took place, followed by more running. Five minutes later, someone's alarm siren began sounding.
My logic: I really dislike paperwork. I'd rather have someone leave than come in the house. If I need to introduce them to Jeeeeeeezus, I suspect the paperwork will be outrageous.
Many homes have some sort of useless lights outside, but burglars still do a brisk business. The reasons are obvious: The lights don't illuminate anything helpful. Matter of fact, they usually blind the homeowner and the cops (when they arrive). And, they come on every night at the same time, which, to anyone observant, does not indicate any sort of consciousness controlling things. On the other hand, if lights come on when an intruder arrives, it may or may not be due to a motion sensor. If an intruder is willing to accept 50/50 odds of finding someone home, then an important piece of information has just been given to the homeowner.
says...

Most burglaries occur during the daytime, not at night. The reason is simple - most homes are empty during the day, and occupied at night. Given the choice, most burglars would rather not have to confront a homeowner.

That's logical, but in my previous home, in a "decent" neighborhood (whatever that means), I was burglarized three times at night.
says...

Sorry to hear about that, but the fact remains that the vast majority of burglaries occur during the daytime.

the land where fear and idiocy reign supreme....
randy

Look at it this way: Depending on whose stats you believe regarding gun ownership in this area, it's possible that 40% of homes have a gun inside, ready to use. Now, if someone enters your house knowing those odds, I choose to call them insane, as opposed to rational and reasonable. I don't see this as fear. I see it as acceptance of reality. If someone's willing to accept those odds in return for a VCR and some jewelry, they are asking to be ended. The only polite thing to do is to grant them their wish.

lets get to the meat of the issue.
why do you feel so strongly that you would KILL someone over your VCR? you dont see the problem? trust me dude, you have a problem. you're actually hoping it happens.
randy

Actually, no. I have no interest in killing an intruder, as long as he is 100% obedient when we meet. Only a psychopath looks forward to killing. But, let's turn the question around:
You're home with your family. It's 3:00 AM. You wake up with a parched throat from the heat and walk into the kitchen for a drink of water. There, you find some nut with a flashlight. Assuming you are sure you have a way to deal with him in varying levels of intensity, please describe your next move.

first, i bet you have a better chance of winning the lottery twice than you have of being in the situation you describe.
second, i suspect a loud yell would solve things 98% of the time. if kids are robbing you they will run. another 1% you cant solve no matter what you do. if a true psychopath came in to kill you, you're dead. this leaves about 1% middle ground where your weapon may do some good.
stop watching tv. ignore those stupid brinks commercials designed to scare the hell out of you. the person robbing you is someone you already know. your guns wont save you from them.
how many people each year actually deter a robbery in their house because they have a gun? three maybe... your time is better spent making sure you look both ways when you cross the street. just put the guns away man. stop with the overkill approach to your yard lighting. cancel your cable tv. get with reality.
randy

Actually, Randy, I watch little or no TV. And contrary to the dream world you live in, home invasions aren't as uncommon as you suggest, and intruders are dissuaded by a gun more often than you've chosen to believe.
Now, if you can't offer any technical suggestions for the issue at hand, go sit in the corner and drink your chocolate milk. And, learn to use the Shift key where appropriate.

pure bullshit.

tell you what. ill learn to use the part of my brain that activates the shift key if you learn to use the rest of yours.
go get em killer!!
randy
says...

Actually, home invasions ARE extremely uncommon, in pretty much all cities and towns in North America. The ratio of regular break-ins (in unoccupied homes) to home invasions (where the intruder knows the home is unoccupied) is something in the range of 10,000 to one.

You can guess at whether intruders are dissuaded by guns all you like, but the reality is that we have no way of knowing whether gun ownership dissuades break-ins. As I noted previously, most burglars will only attempt to break in if they know the home is empty. Whether a gun is in the home or not, it's not a deterrent if the home is unoccupied.

As to the security lighting, there's nothing wrong with regular, plain motion sensor lights. The idea isn't to convince the potential intruder that there's a person home - it's to make it easy for neighbours and anybody else nearby to see the burglar. If somebody's going to break into a home, they're going to do it where they're least likely to be seen.
I'd also suggest getting to know your neighbours. Having watchful neighbours is an extremely effective way to deter break-ins, especially if they will challenge people who aren't normally around the neighbourhood.