Remote control outdoor lighting?

The USA has 51 separate criminal justice systems. It's not possible to consider it a single 'jurisdiction' in criminal matters.

Are you a lawyer? Odd how you can give such convincing legal advice, without knowing the specifics of a situation. So, any intruder can break into any home in the USA, be shot dead in cold blood by the homeowner, and get off scott-free? Interesting country you live in.

Please provide a reference to an actual court judgment (or even a news story) where an intruder broke into a home, made no threat or other sign of harm toward the homeowner, was killed by the homeowner, and where the homeowner was acquitted. I think you'll have a hard time finding one. If the intruder was a visible threat to the homeowner or a family member, then I can understand self-defence being used as a defence to a murder charge. If no threat is made, and the intruder would have left as soon as he was discovered, then it's hard to legally justify killing that person.

Some might say the same thing about the 'system' in the USA.

Reply to
Ann Onymous

For Home Invasion motion lights and dog or dogs are best, I use 2 dogs and a 3 banks of X-10 controled flood lights, one turns on the other the second turns on the third.

Reply to
m Ransley

If an intruder is outside your house you cannot shoot him, but inside you can, many cases of this occur every year. But once he is inside he has the advantage and usualy do their work while you sleep. Best is keep them out with locks ,lights , dogs and alarm system

Reply to
m Ransley

No such statistic exists, but it reflects common sense. If the burglar refuses to leave when confronted, then force may be necessary. It seems far more sensible to ASK the person to leave before pulling out a weapon and threatening them.

Also, if you "happen" to come upon a burglar in your home, especially at

3:00am, the chances of the burglar being armed are much greater than the chances of you being armed. Or do you wear a holster on your pajamas?
Reply to
Ann Onymous

Ask???? That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Oh Sir, this is my house. Perhaps you meant to break in to some other house. Would you please leave? Here, take a snack with you so you don't get hungry on the way home.

Should you call them a cab?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sources, please.

Again, I'll point out that most burglaries occur during the daytime, when most homes are unoccupied.

Agreed, and all but the lights work in the daytime also.

Reply to
Ann Onymous

Ok, perhaps telling them is more accurate. "Leave now or I'm calling the police" gives the intruder the option of leaving without getting caught by the police or getting hurt. If you were the intruder, wouldn't it be the option you're going to take?

Or would you rather ask them to stand still while you go looking for a weapon (notwithstanding the fact that they may already be armed...)?

Reply to
Ann Onymous

No dogs ? how about an attack Parrott, or Ferrit. [ joke]

Honestly , lights, locks, alarm {with hostage preset code} and noise { radio } work. But dogs are best, Black and large is what burgulars fear, I had 2 .

Reply to
m Ransley

It most certainly is. Precedents often cross state lines, particularly when lawyers and judges are discussing theory as opposed to code. This is how existing laws are reinterpreted. This is why a drunk driver who kills someone can be charged with first degree murder in one locale but not in another, simply because the judge and the grand jury felt it made sense.

Post your question in rec.guns. You'll receive a wealth of links to legal information and history. I saved some from the last time I saw this question answered. I'll find them for you over the weekend.

There are two assumptions you can make about an intruder:

1) They are armed and dangerous. 2) They are not armed and dangerous. Without physically searching the intruder, only an idiot makes the 2nd assumption.

No. Call your lawyer. No matter how many links I provide for you, you will consider them to be suspect. Your lawyer should not charge you for a 3 minute conversation.

As I mentioned earlier, you cannot prove an intruder is NOT a threat without getting dangerously close to him - something the police recommend against.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Dogs do more damage to property (and sometimes to people) than guns do. A gun is an inanimate object, a machine, and therefore predictable. A dog is a complete unknown.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In my home, there's no way to enter without making an enormous amount of noise. I'd already be armed if someone got in.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I believe you, but I happily got past the diaper changing routine when my son was young. I'll be damned if I'm going to clean up after a dog, or insult my neighbors by allowing a dog to crap on their property.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It is state by state. Once you get away from the "Blue" states you find there are "castle" states (A man's home is his castle). You do not have the "obligation of retreat" (you do not have to avoid a deadly force confrontation) in your own home. This is not a blanket OK to shoot any intruder but if you can demontsate any fear of "imminent threat of personal harm" you will get away with shooting. If you live in the north east the law may seem more like UK . They have the obligation of retreat, in your home. You must demonstrate that the intruder was preventing you from running away. You get a pretty good overview with the education course that comes with the concealed weapon license in the 38 states that let you carry. The individual state laws are available on many web sites. Packing.org or NRA.org will get you started.

Reply to
Greg

Actually, I don't need to find case law for you. Do a google search using the words "self defense castle doctrine". In the results, look for URLs beginning with this:

You'll have PLENTY of interesting reading this weekend.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Even in the NE (I live in NY), it varies quite a bit based on locale. In many places, the attitude of judges & juries is that when you enter someone's home to steal (or worse), you accept the risks involved. Oh well.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Better.... Leave now the police are on the way (works best if an alarm system has been tripped and loud noises are being heard).

Why give the robber the option of fighting you for control of the telephone?

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

In the case that "somebody" is you... YES

Reply to
Chuck

because it lowers the chance you finally get to be john wayne and shoot somebody!!

yee ha!!

randy

Reply to
xrongor

not clever, not funny, just stupid and mean.

randy

Reply to
xrongor