Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Page 1 of 2
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps, basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone suggested lithium grease?
SD
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring mld
MLD wrote:

Depends entirely on what the o-ring is made from.
But, probably not a good choice for potable water, certainly not if in contact (altho a minimal risk, isn't approved for food contact).
I'd ask OP _what_ o-rings, what kind/style of pump, etc., ...
Depending, may not need any lubrication and/or may be detrimental to performance/longevity or may be water-lubricated or...

Most O-rings are Buna-n, some are Viton, others are Teflon. Vaseline is compatable with all of them.

The small amounts of Vaseline that may enter the water will cause no harm. Vaseline is non toxic.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote: ...

I didn't say it was harmful, I said it wasn't approved for potable water systems...
I was lit up a few months ago by somebody else on the other way 'round when I suggested it for the water filter o-rings. So, thinking same way you did/do, I looked it up and it is _not_ listed for internal use.
That said, I personally still use it but no longer recommend it in usenet postings for the purpose...

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible. Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is against the guy rules though....
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"

You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone? Have you ever tried to get rid of a Silicone residual when trying to paint?

neither, but silicone is inert and vaseline is oil based. you can buy a tube of it in an auto parts store for about the same price as a tub of vaseline. look for boat trailer bearing grease.
i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil based lubricants; manuals explicitly state not to use it on some pumps that i have. i can't tell the difference between materials of o-rings and would rather not risk it.
you paint the inside of your pumps?

Please Quote. Vaseline is 100% compatible with O-rings.

They are speaking of mechanical seals. Do not use petroleum on mechanical seals. Use glycerin

No, but Silicone residue is mostly invisible and hard to get rid of. If silicone use becomes standard procedure for lubrication around the house then expect the residue to end up on painted surfaces. If it ends up on painted surfaces you should expect problematic paint jobs.

Especially since fire codes

In article

would be nice if I could hit the close command instead of post...

Silicone, of course, It is inert and will pass through the digestive system. That is one reason silicone is used for medical devices with body contact.
Petroleum jelly is used on cosmetics and on cuts because it is safe too. Lots of uses for it. http://www.gomestic.com/Homemaking/22-Wonderful-Uses-For-Petroleum-Jelly.37106 Not to mention as a cheap sex lubricant
Thanks for the link Ed..
SD

In the context of a lubricants that may be ingested Vaseline is pure and Silicone lubricant is not. Silicone lubricant has unknown added ingredients that would make me hesitate.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"

Definitely RTM wasn't part of my Male Manual LOL..
SD
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

What if the OP's pump body is plastic? The lube has to be compatible with all the material it contacts....

The question was about O-rings. Not plastic. Most plastics fair well will petroleum.
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:36:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Correction: Change -Butyl- to Buna-n