Refinish Fireplace

Hi, I want to refinish my fireplace and mantle. Currently the fireplace is original with red brick facing. I am thinking of tiling the face of the fireplace with a ceramic or marble tile. My question is can I do this? Can I put morter cement over the brick face to adhere the tiles? If so, does it have to be a special compound due to heat from the fireplace, or regular tile mortar/cement? As well, should I go with 12x12 tiles or the smaller 4x4 tiles? What would be more appropriate for the face?
Thanks, Johnny
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Johnny) wrote in message

In my enclosed gas fireplace, the outside 12x12 marble tile was cool to touch,