Recommendation on a thermostat

Greetings,
Does anyone have any recommendations on preferred thermostats? We have an old thermostat that does not have features to set alternate temperatures to save gas and I want to replace it but I have no idea which one to purchase.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖
The Tessier Family wrote:

I did this about a week ago.
I used a "Ritetemp" Model 8030C.
Has 4 independently programmable periods each day, 7 day separate programming, and most importantly nice big LCD display that I can see, as well as touch screen programming.
Replaced an older (20 - 25 year old) Robertshaw TX2-1044 on which I could no longer comfortably see the very little LCD digits on the screen and whose little buttons no longer reliably worked for programming / time setting.
My system is gas fired forced hot air, no AC.
This unit will operate gas heat and standard AC systems (not heat pumps) according to the manual.
Took about 20 minutes to install, most of which was spackling over the mounting holes from the old unit.
Runs the system fine.
Guaranteed that no matter what replacement you pick, the mounting holes will not line up. That's McLaughlin's corollary to Murphy's law.
Add pictures here
✖
The Tessier Family wrote:

Any higher line Honeywell TS will be a good choice. Most all makers are better these days, but Honeywell year in and year out has led the way with good products. Personally, I've never had one fail, but over the years i have replace four or five other brands (not installed by me). HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Like another poster, I also bought a RiteTemp model, though mine's a lower model than his (I think mine's an 8020 or something). I think they probably all do a good enough job these days holding a temperature. It mostly comes down to features.
I would look for a unit that's a full seven day programmable (mine is, which surprised me - didn't expect it for $30). Some units are "5-2", meaning, as I understand it, that you program blocks of days, not individual days. I guess for some people that's more convenient/ easier, but I like full control. It's easy enough on my unit to copy a program from one day to another if you want all the weekdays to have the same program. I like to keep the heat on later on Friday night, though, for example... and also turn it on earlier on Monday morning (I go to work earlier that day).
I would also look for a unit with a big, backlit LCD. My unit does *not* have this and it's one thing I regret. My unit has a small, non- backlit LCD that is impossible to see in the dark and not even entirely easy to see during the day.
One thing that I've noticed is that my thermostat is pretty slow to reflect temperature changes - it'll show 70 degrees, then an hour later it'll feel obviously colder in the house and it'll still show 70 degrees. This is probably by design so the heat's not constantly coming on and "overshooting" the target temp, but I've set it to a 1 degree differential before it turns on the heat because of it and that makes it probably a three or four "real" degree swing in either direction. I am not sure if other thermostats are more sensitive to temperature changes. (Mine will eventually reflect the correct temperature, it just does it slowly.)
I have saved quite a bit of money since installing the new thermostat, though I also replaced some windows at the same time so I am not sure how much is down to that and how much to the thermostat. But the heat basically never comes on overnight anymore, so it's gotta be helping.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 7, 2:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Put another themometer near it. I will bet the temperature is indeed the same. It' s just that you feel cooler for some other reason. If the temp is set at 71 the furnace will turn off at 72 and on at 70.
You may need to set for more sensitive setting: .33 or .67 degrees.
Add pictures here
✖
FWIW, regarding the 'override' feature... in my current home, I replaced the non-programmable stats with Honeywell RTH230B stats (5-2 day programming, <=4 temperature intervals per day). They are accurate and work fine. My only disappointment is how the 'override' feature works -- in programmable mode[*], when you manually set the temperature to override the program, the temperature setting reverts back to the scheduled/programmed temperature after 2 hours. The stats in my prior house reverted back at the next-programmed-temperature-change. Much more often than not, I would prefer the latter.
[*] as opposed to full manual mode, in which you set a single temperature, and it stays set that way until you switch to programmable mode.
Add pictures here
✖
I wouldn't buy anything sold at Home Depot. Honeywell stats are generally fine, with a few exceptions and White Rogers are fine and cost considerably less then Honeywells for comparable models

Add pictures here
✖

Home Depot carries an extensive line of Honeywell thermostats.
Add pictures here
✖
And I recommend not buying any one of them

✖

Why? I have a Honeywell programmable and it has been perfect for a few years now, and holds the temperature very close. I'd avoid the Lux and some other cheap models.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Add pictures here
✖
I can't tell you how many times customers of mine have handed me electronic and electromechanical stuff like Honeywell thermostats from HD, and the things were either dead, out of the box, or died shortly afterwards. I'm convinced that anything that doesn't pass quality control, goes straight to HD

Add pictures here
✖

I was on a short vacation last summer and a "salesman" came in and convinced the service manager to buy a butt-load of t-stats that had our company name and phone number on them. Various heat/cool, heat pump, programmable, and non-programmable ones. Guess what they were?
Lux
Guess how many we have had to replace......
Add pictures here
✖
Of course with a little inconvenience you can just do it manually. I admit I have an automatic model Honeywell, I like waking up in a warm bedroom.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
✖