Recliner footrest

I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says the recliner was manufactured by a different company.
The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself, creating a tripping hazard.
How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull the handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?
gcotterl wrote:

Please lay it side ways and have a look at the mechanism. May be it's pretty worn or weakened spring.
gcotterl wrote:

Did the recliner do this when it was new? Is it supposed to do this?

You are the only one here in a position to examine the mechanism and figure out how it works and effect a repair or modify it to suit your needs.
Unless you post some very well-photographed pictures or create some engineering diagrams showing how the unit is constructed, we can do very little for you.

Find a similar-looking unit, turn it over and see how it is supposed to look, take some photos and then go home and figure out what is wrong with your unit. Sounds likke a broken spring as others have suggested.
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:16:25 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

Many recliners have a friction gizmo you can tighten to make it so the mechanism can't move so easily that it won't stay in position. Flip yours over and see if there is one, or more likely, two wing nuts you can tighten a little so it stays in the position it's supposed to stay in.