Recirculating heat motor ... can it be quieted or bypassed (pic included)

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 05:43:44 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It's common if there is a bunch of crud in the bottom. The heater should be flushed, if it's not too late.

We're also getting ready to move into a new house (I'll probably move in a couple of weeks and my wife will follow in July, or so). The WH is in the garage, at the opposite end of the house from the master (~70'). I was thinking about putting a small water heater, in series, nearer the bathrooms and kitchen.

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 05:43:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It is clearly from the heaters. Are they not supposed to bubble?

I should try that. I think the only one who would 'miss' the 100 gallons of hot water is the teen miss herself! :)

Would the tank 'go bad' just sitting there though?
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 01:03:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know if two are needed, especially as they're hooked up in parallel. When the teens take a shower, they run out of hot water - but they're in the bathroom for an hour (I kid you not).
UPDATE ...
One thing everyone has noticed is that the hot water 'seems' hotter now with the recirculation pump unplugged. I can't fathom how that can be but that's the universal opinion (I didn't make any measurements, nor adjustments. All I did was unplug the recirculation pump).
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 17:10:49 -0700, Bob F wrote:

That's helpful insight!
It must be doing that, because all agree that the water appears hotter (at least at first) with the recirculation pump turned off.
This morning, I tested the shower, and it took 8 seconds (one onethousand, two one thousand, etc.) for it to get hot enough to hurt.
So, the recirc pump, in essence only subtracted 8 seconds from the time- to-hot-water point, but, it also cooled that hot water, and made a whole lott'a vibratory noise (due to the lousy mounting).
I consider it a win:win with the darn thing unplugged.
I'm just not sure whether to leave the three valves in the open or closed positions.
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:33:54 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I'm going to put the timer in, but not for the hot water.
It turns out the system actually seems to 'cool' the water (as explained prior) because it mixes up the tank. That, of course, probably gives more evenly heated water - but everyone has agreed the water appears hotter (much hotter) simply by disconnecting the recirculation pump.
The reason I'll put the timer in place is to keep the legionella down.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Once again, you mention me. What a life devoid of joy you must have. Of course that is to be expected inasmuch as, I'll wager, everyone in your community shuns you. Oh there are exceptions, I'm sure. Your church where everyone is (openly) welcomed, a merchant who wants your money and will put up with your anti-social behavior just long enough. Maybe some others.
I sure as hell won't put up with you!
You picked this fight and you are way outmatched.
I fully expect other posters to start picking sides; we'll see how the vote turns out.
Happy Easter, skell.