Recessed Lights in Contact with Insulation Paper

I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

Reply to
PeleSajan

Small additional note. It is the Owens Corning pink insulation that I am referring to that has the paper vapor barrier on it.

Reply to
PeleSajan

Typical instructions for IC housings say they can be in contact with insulation. I've never seen instructions that mention removing paper from insulation. Look up the make and model of you framing kit, and see what that manufacturer specs

Reply to
RBM

If you want to really find out what the manufacturer says, contact them. Many have good email response services to help customers use their products safely.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

The 3" rule is for non-IC lights.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Fixture makers don't specify anything about the paper/vapor barrior and I've never seen an installer remove the paper.

That said there is a very minor issue: Because the IC fixture is metal enclosed it is a vapor barrior. Therefore there would be an enclosed area between the fixture and the insulation. Technically it is not a good idea to have such an area of trapped air. Practially it is so small an not really sealed that nobody but a few perfectionists worry about it.

Richard Reid, LC

Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

Reply to
RickR