Re-Charging Batteries

Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer. It came wit h two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, ma y take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re -charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. t he green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an ho ur and a half ago.
I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the s tring trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?
This is my first experience with this type of machine. Always had the kind with a cord before. Thanks.
On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:40:57 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:

ith two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) th at it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.
It would have been fine to leave it overnight.

o I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?
If it does not charge by the end of the day take it back. They will give yo u a new one.
Dottie wrote:

two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

Hi, If the green light is on solid charging is done. If it is blinking, it is still charging. I have same trimmer and like it. One battery lasts 20-30 minutes.
On 06/21/13 12:22 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Not on mine: Green LED ON means it's still charging; when the battery is fully charged the LED goes out. (I have some older B&D chargers that work differently.)
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Hi, My camera battery charge does that but B&D Lithium battery charger does as I mentioned. I bought it from Lowes couple months ago on sale.
On 6/21/2013 6:40 AM, Dottie wrote:

They must all be different because my Black and Decker cordless string trimmer (older model) is red while charging and then turns green when completed...go figure.
Don
On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:40:57 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:

ith two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) th at it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

o I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

nd with a cord before. Thanks.
The instructions say that the green light is on while it is charging and it will go off when it has finished. It shows pictures -- and the grey scree n is what it looks like when fully charged.
We used one of the batteries today - before it was fully charged -- and it worked for about 20 minutes. I have the other new one charging (started at 8:45 a.m. today) and still going. When, and if, it finishes -- I will re- charge the one we used today. I read somewhere else that it was not unusua l for it to take 10 hours.