Range clock - Disconnect it!

Page 5 of 12
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

No it isnt.
How odd that the word transformer doesnt even get a mention in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballast_%28electrical%29
Keep digging, you'll be out in china any day now.
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 05:04:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"

How odd that you would rely on a homebrew writeup in Wikipedia. What is not odd is that, even at that, you don't know what you are reading. For openers, please tell us what an inductor is, and what a transformer is.
On 6/4/2008 12:16 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

I hate to admit it, but the guy's correct here: a transformer is an inductor, but one with more than one winding, so that there's an electrical--> magnetic--> electrical transfer going on. A ballast is just a plain inductor.
But this guy's such an asshole, why bother continuing this argument?
conversation with the average voter.
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 05:04:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Guess these guys didn't believe an amateur entry in Wikipedia:
http://www.saveonlighting.com/subcat-ballast-electronic_compact_fluorescent_ballast_transformer__ecf_.htm
On 6/4/2008 12:21 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

http://www.saveonlighting.com/subcat-ballast-electronic_compact_fluorescent_ballast_transformer__ecf_.htm That *is* a transformer (or it contains a transformer); we're talking about the "old school" ballasts, which are just inductors.
But what I said before about not bothering arguing w/this asshole still holds.
conversation with the average voter.

Yeah, it's not really worth the trouble. He's been posting his nonsense for many years. Some folks call him Rod Speedbump because he's such an impediment.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
On 6/4/2008 4:04 PM Rod Speed spake thus:
[...]

"Hey, honey, could you smack that record player one more time? The needle's stuck again!"
conversation with the average voter.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
Rod Speed wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Vinyl is back.
Seriously though, the "wet paper bag" response is about the best indicator you have that he's lost the argument and given up.
Rod Speed wrote:

Pathetic.
On 6/4/2008 6:15 PM Rod Speed spake thus:

Exactly.
conversation with the average voter.

Pathetic.
Rod Speed wrote:

Pathetic.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

http://www.saveonlighting.com/subcat-ballast-electronic_compact_fluorescent_ballast_transformer__ecf_.htm They clearly dont have a clue about the difference between a ballast and a transformer.
A transformer has two separate windings, a ballast/choke/inductor has just one.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

I'm a little surprised where TVs have popped up. If you thought an excess of clocks was bad, you'll hate seeing a TV above the icemaker door on the fridge. I wouldn't be surprised now to see one on the microwave!
It's starting to look like the efficiency gains of appliances is being offset by phantom losses of a plethora of low duty cycle or unnecessary bonus devices.
I don't need or want extra clocks

I'm not exactly sure where receiver technology is these days. Old style receivers throw away a lot of power. The trend is toward energy efficient because they are cheaper to manufacture, less heat sinking and smaller overall size and a smaller power supply. With that said, there's nothing quite like the sound from an old MacIntosh Tube or solid state amp.
Everyone needs some indulgence!
That receiver also exhibits some

The disturbing trend is what is typical. There's an explosion of small electronic devices and an explosion of electronics in all devices, like your coffee maker. So phantom power is on the increase. Radically on the increase.
I think good design can eliminate much of this, and I see that there is a one watt initiative aiming at keeping phantom power per device under one watt.

Thanks. I think we just got of on the wrong foot!
I'm not sure where the future lies, but it seems increasingly obvious that some steps need to be taken. A nearly free lunch like reducing phantom losses through design seems like a good plan.
Personally, I'm more concerned over the big ticket energy users, like heating and air conditioning and lighting.
Jeff

I've seen those. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a joke, but apparently they really are marketing them. I don't know where to start with just how dumb an idea I think that is. Well, I won't be buying one. I did see a prototype some years back where the video screen on the door was to allow you to see inside without opening the door, thus saving energy by not having the door open while browsing, but that's not what seems to have made it to market.

There are a lot "because we can" features on things. Mostly harmless, but often enough it's a small power user. My microwave has a bunch of pre-programmed cooking functions which I will never use, but at least those don't seem to use any power if I ignore them.

Mine's solid state. No way I'd leave a tube amp on 24/7, though I guess the "true audiophiles" do so the tubes stay warm. I assume new stuff uses switching power supplies.

That should be easily achievable if engineers can avoid that tendency they have to add stuff because they think it's cool, without considering if it's really going to be useful and at what cost.

No argument here.

Exactly. Though at lot of the low hanging fruit has been picked in those areas.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.