Questions about pressure washing and paint spraying

I'm getting ready to paint the exterior of my house and have a coiuple of questions:

Once I finish pressure washing the house, how long can I wait until I finish painting it? Do I need to paint it right away (e.g. within 2-3 days), or can I complete the washed areas over two or three weekends? Ideally, I would wash only the walls I have time to paint, but I'll be renting the washer.

I'll also rent an airless sprayer and am a little unsure about how much of a problem overspray will be and how much masking /covering up I'll need to do to protect everything nearby. Will a plastic tarp extending 3' from the wall be enough? When painting higher parts of the house, how should I minimize the "drifting" of overspray?

Reply to
plin321

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1186094306.250225.242470 @j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

No. In fact, I'd say waiting a few days is a good thing if there is any bare wood exposed. Lets any moisture from washing evaporate. Paint will peel off of damp wood.

I always use a brush .

It gets a thicker coat of paint on. No neighbors have ever filed a claim that there is fine paint overspray on their car or house whether it's a fact or they are just looking for a freebee car buffing.

Reply to
Al Bundy

All the pros I've seen pressure wash the house on one day, then wait a week for complete drying before painting.

Reply to
Abe

Mask everything...windows, soffits...anything that you don't want to wind up painted. By the time you finish that you could have painted with a roller/brush.

Reply to
dadiOH

Your sprayer was misadjusted or misused if you really did have this result.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker