Questioning faucet install charges

Page 2 of 3

OK, but she said she owns NONE, as if to say that all public companies have overpaid CEOs. That's obviously false.

Gee...I wonder if the performance of those 2 positions had anything to do with your decision. <g>
If CMCSA had 1, 3 and 5 year returns similiar LIFC, how much would the CEO's salary factor into the discussion?
Molly Brown wrote:

Well, considering they're operating corporations larger than most countries' GNP's, the amount of their compensation is actually pretty miniscule in comparison. And, at that level, there's quite a lot of competition as well.
Michael J used to pull down $40M in just endorsements, outside his NBA salary. Those hiring him certainly thought they were getting their money's worth. Tiger may win $2M or more for a week on the golf course and I've not even looked at his endorsements. There are lots of reasons for folks making the salaries they do; most having to do w/ the perceived value provided by those who set those salaries.
A few abuses don't negate the generality.

And that's a _VERY_ shortsighted (and self-defeating) viewpoint to take as it is in all likelihood limiting your ability to realize growth potential.

You participating in a 401K plan there? If not (unless one isn't available), you're missing out. If so, unless you're completely into a money market or bond portfolio (which is undoubtedly not a wise position, either) you more than likely have mutual funds which in all likelihood own oil stocks as well as many others.
Zyp wrote:

Your observation generates several questions:
First, why should what someone else makes be of any concern to you?
Second, you admit that the rationale for an oil executive's salary is "beyond you" which may explain why an oil executive's salary is (probably) substantially higher than yours - he knows why.
Third, whether the hard-working plumber has a family is irrelevant. People get paid for the value of the services rendered, or at least they should. Shit like minimum wage and union scale keep getting the way.

True, but there ARE people who charge a lot more than anyone else, and yet they can't explain why. There has to be a reason that makes the customer willing to pay a high price. Facts, features, benefits. If the plumber can't give you any, why pay $600 when you can pay $350, and probably get the same work?
I got several roof estimates. One was around 2K, most were around 5K, and one guy was just over 9K. Most were using the exact same materials. I called the 9K guy and asked him "Convince me. What's worth 4K more?" He couldn't. I went with one of the 5K contractors. (The 2K guy was simply out of his mind)
Not as hard to say as you think. Reread the OP's post. "I bought the faucet online and Mom called a plumbing company to install it."
read this part

If the labor was $336, yes it sure seems high.
wrote in message

Mine took 4 hours, but the phone kept ringing, and the cat kept climbing on my chest while I was working. She's a union cat. She did nothing while I worked.
there was a violation then if it was a union job. If only the cat was watching you work, then you were 2 people shy. There has to be 3 watching and 1 working.

Not sure why you're telling *me* to read that part.
Read this part:
"I bought the faucet online and Mom called a plumbing company to install it."
The only parts supplied by the plumber were the shutoff and risers. The cost of the faucet doesn't even enter into this discussion.

Not sure why you're telling *me* to read that part.
Read this part:
I wasn't telling you. I mistyped "I read". Read and read are spelled the same. Yes, I re-read that part but also read the part I posted that was a bit ambiguous.

Seems high? That's forcible rape. I can do one of those in an hour if the old one is hard to take off. And another hour for the shut off valve even if I have to sweat it on. I'd say $166 an hour is high. I only charge $80 for what I do.
Steve

What we do not know is if the plumber had run into other problems and how long the job took. Yes, in most cases it is a couple of hours work, but there may be circumstances we don't know about. I'll reserve judgment until I do.
I'd like to see you do the faucet at my MIL's previous house in an hour.
wrote in message

Just changed one today on my mop sink. Went to one with the pull out handle faucet. Had all kinds of problems. Took me a WHOLE hour. Sheesh.
These things aren't rocket surgery. I know you can run into problems, but they are basically simple.
Steve
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:05:10 -0800, "SteveB"

Steve, that is the dumbest conclusion I've seen in a while. Do you know the situation with the sink I'm talking about? The plumbing leading up to it? The frozen open shut off valves? The fact that the main shutoff does not? It is not that simple.
You don't know the situation of her house. You don't know the situation of the house the OP was speaking of. Just because you did yours in an hour, that does not mean every faucet in the world can be done in that time. I've done my share of older work and it can be troublesome at times.

Thank you very much. I am glad I hold this position of honor in your memory. I do not know everything, nor claim to.
I do know that I do think that $166 per hour for changing a faucet is what I do think is excessive. If it was that complicated, or rusted up and frozen up that much, it would have taken more than two hours.
YMMV. And probably does.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Here plumbers charge ~40.00 an hour.
Steve Kraus wrote:

for a Sunday evening spent rooting out the sewer line all the way to the far side of the street. Three guys? Four? Don't remember. If I was calling a plumber to install a faucet, I would try to buy the faucet from him. I like to make points with good contractors. If a contractor is good enough to do work in my home, he is good enough to let him have the profit on the parts.

You got took complete tap install shutoffs and all 130.00 .
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:02:26 -0000, Steve Kraus

I'll just never understand some customers. You bought the faucet online. She calls (evidentially) an unknown plumber? Did anyone think to ask for an estimate, guesstimate, price per hour and/or anything in writing? Once again, a pure and simple reason for flat rate pricing. You are charged a service charge for the tech to come out and then acess the situation. You should then be given IN WRITING, a cost to complete the repair and a warranty. You then decide whether you want the repair or not and are only responsible for the service charge if you choose not to have the repairs done. In your case, the only warranty I would give is a "Workmanship" warranty on the install meaning it was installed in a professional-like manner. Any defects or problems related to your faucet you purchased are all on your dime. Its kind of hard to argue after the fact when they have already completed the work, you paid them and then you go back and cancel the check. Thats pretty much putting you in jail when you have work done and then stop payment. I take those kind of checks straight to the county prosecuting attorney. Thats what they are for. Bubba

No, not for what should have been a trivial job. For a big job, sure. For a little job, no.

Excuse me but who said anything about cancelling a check? Certainly not me. No one is cancelling a check or even asking for a refund.

Fascinating but completely off topic.
Should she have asked for estimates first? Clearly yes since there are plumbing contractors out there who charge senior citizens almost 500 dollars for what was likely a 150-250 dollar job.
Water under the bridge. But you're wrong if you think I have no business even raising the question. If someone walks through a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night flashing a lot of cash and jewels and they get robbed you can fairly call them foolish. But that doesn't make it any less a crime. (Only an analogy; I'm not saying this was a crime. Just in spirit.)