question on my disposable

Page 1 of 3

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable - because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on the disposable, I can hear the sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested. What should I try before calling plunbing?
Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I get the plumbing.
Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger. But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting more rice out.
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit. If you feel in the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits into. Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins freely, then run the unit and wash the debris down

my brother was a sloppy people).

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is:)

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the tools.

When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so you can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of "f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock- wise?

Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin freely before turning on the switch

And don't forget to take the wrench out.
Steve

that would be the indication that the congestion is gone? I did try both and it turn like 1/8 to 1/6 of a 90 degree angle. So I guess I should try some more till I feel that Allen wrench is spinning freely?

Once you get it to move a few inches, try the switch and run water, if it jams again keep using the wrench, and like Steve said, remove the wrench before turning on the switch

Now, it's turning like 30-35 degree angle. Kind of scared to put force to turn. I don't have much hand strength and as a reuslt I might put too much force, (w/o good control) if I put force.
Am I supposed to see that whatever is in the stoppage flows freely first before turning the switch on?
The motor won't turn if there is a slight jam, you want to get it freed up to a point where you can flip the switch, run the water, and let the machine chew up whatever had it jammed in the first place

Okay. Will keey trying.

Now, it's turning 360 degree and I made several turns before turning the switch on (removed the wrench every time I turned on the switch).
There was some water in the sink already but I truned the water on when I ran the disposable. I could hear the unit working with the nosie sounding like it's grinding rice. But I dodn't see the stuff going down, not even water thought he water became clody with ground rice mixing in water.
I didn't know how long I should let the motor run when things are not going down and so stopped it and tried again but not for very long.
Is it plunger time now? Since I don't have a sink plunger, should I just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no highway involved.

You sound cute..
You need a man, my Darling. If you are accepting applications for the job let me know!
I've always wanted a girlfriend named Amanda, the song from Boston says it all.
:-)

Sounding cute and looking cute are two different things, don't you agree?

Your assumption that *a man (referring to any man) can resolve this problem* is wrong.

You are out of luck.

try getting their attention.

I meant to say that if you have a vent from the dishwasher on the sink (a silver cap with some holes in it) a plunger won't work. Maybe if you could also plug the vent, but that doesn't seeem especially easy to do.

See my other post and wait until the rice softens up. (It will, won't it, even if the water isn't hot.

No wonder when I was using a plunger, I didn't feel like it was doing anything. I have that vent ith a silver cap.

I guess, all I can do now is wait.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.

Something you don't probably know, but I'll tell you ..............
I didn't know it for a long time, but once I found out this secret, it helped me infinitely with disposal clogs ...................
That silver tower that is about as round as a silver dollar and three inches tall there on your sink ............
that's the vent for your garbage disposal and, I think, your dishwasher.
If your sink has one of these, in order to plunge your disposal, you will need to seal that up. First, pull the silver cover off. It comes right off. Next, put a VERY wet rag over the top as much as you can cover and as best as you can cover. This will stop the air from going in and out of that vent as you plunge up and down. Sometimes, this requires three hands, one to hold the rag, one for the plunger, and one to hold a plug in the adjacent sink. Or you can put the plug in and fill the sink. A helper to hold the plug in there helps.
You can feel when you blow the clog, the plunging gets easier.
Plugging the air vent and plugging the hole in the adjacent sink will shorten the amount of time you have to plunge, and it plugs up the air route so you are pushing on water instead of having a hole where air can escape.
Otherwise, you can really work up a sweat, learn new cuss words, and never have any noticeable effect on the clog.
HTH
Steve

I looked for it and saw some silver lookignt hings but later realized that it was covered up by some sort of selant material (beige color). I only hope that that sealant material is nto damaged by my putting boiling water at a suggestion by a friend to soften the rice - I guess he didn't know there could be selant.
I tried plunger first - only a few times though - and then when it didn't work, I took out the muddy water as much as I could, boiled water in a kettele and poured the boiling water in. When I turned on the disposable unit, I saw more grinded rice powder coming up and so I took out those hot water. So I boiled more water and added again. After turning on the disposable, seeing rice poder coming up, I ended up taking those hot water out too to get the rice out. Then boiled more water and this time, I poured it in and let it sit.
It was after all that I saw your message, went to look at the unit and saw the sealant. When I touched it, it felt warm and some sealant material came off easily. So I am hoping that the water will get cold quickly and the sealant will not get damaged enough to leak air.
I'll continue with the plunger tomorrow.
Thank you all.

There seems to be a clog, since the water sits there, but her main problem is that the disposal won't turn. Hmmm. In a way, it would be a mistake to get rid of the clog before the rice has been softened up.
OTOH, it will probably clog again fairly soon if the disposal can't turn. The ony time I run my disposal is when there is a clog. :) (Although I'm going to do better this time because I want to postpone it's rusting shut.)