Push in wire connectors

Page 1 of 2

For the re-wiring I did in my basement we used the push-in connectors for a junction box. They worked very well especially given the large number of wires we had to connect together. But what's the word on the street, my friend who recommended them says that a lot of old-timer electricians don't trust them, but that the journeymen that he works with love them because they make their job so much easier. I thought it was great, strip the wire, push the wire in the hole, wire's locked into place.
fast but can flake out over time:( If they are in and working I would just remember where they are. someday when something quits check its likely the cause.
I have some here that never caused a problem although one flaked about a year ago......
better are the push in wires tighten screws, they are really dependable

you? For those I've heard plenty of people complain that those are fire hazards. For switches and outlets the screw down type you mentioned below are definitely recommended over stab-loc.
I'm talking about these things http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/28249/612
Just so that we're on the same page and all that.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:30:17 -0800, "Eigenvector"

I missed your key word(s) - "junctin box". -- Oren

use them. I suppose the worst thing that can happen is that a wire falls out, and then you just have an open circuit.
Eigenvector wrote:

I believe that one of the major fire alarm suppliers uses those, or something very similar to them, for low voltage connections having to do with auxiliary relays for a duct detector. So apparently they can be reliable, at least reliable enough to be UL listed for fire alarm use.
That said, I do trust a good old fashioned terminal strip with screws on it a lot more. I also never use the push in connectors on a receptacle, heard enough stories about those...
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

What do you call the "stab in & screw down" type termination on switches and outlets? Has the speed of stablock and the reliability of a clamped down connection.

How does this work???
What I'd like to see are fixtures that don't require a box... Strip the wire, lay it in a channel in the back of the fixture, screw it down tight, repeat for other wires, flip over the wire channel cover.

I note that they're both UL and CSA approved.
I'll also note that push in terminals on outlets are also (still) approved by UL and CSA, and all of the device connection failures I've _ever_ seen were push-in. Most of them with aluminum wire (where push-in has never been legal), but still, some were copper.
When it comes right down to it, given the right tools[1]/workmanship for installing on screw terminals or wirenuts, push-in doesn't really save you much. And I _much_ prefer the higher clamp pressure and solidity of a screw termination or a good solid wirenut.
For screw terminals my wire stripper has a strategically placed hole that makes making a small loop at the wire end very easy. A pair of needle nose pliers works in a pinch.
The proper set of linesman pliers makes quick work of doing the twists for wirenuts. Some wirenuts are rated _without_ pretwisting.
Note that these devices aren't intended for stranded wire. Only solid.
--
Chris Lewis,

next "aluminum wire back stab connector" of the next century. I don't know the history of aluminum wire or back stab connectors but it seems like they probably received the same approval before everyone found out just how bad they were.

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

There's something to be said for twisting wires together, then feeling how tight and secure they are under a wire nut. Only time will tell how well these new devices hold up. There are certainly enough problems with spring clips in outlets and switches becoming loose

RBM wrote:

... as long as you don't twist them before you put the wire nut on ...
Only time will tell how well

ESPECIALLY, when you twist them first!!!

It is imperative the wires be twisted before the wire nut is applied.
--
Steve Barker

"CJT" < snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net> wrote in message
Some wire nut types do say twisting is not necessary, but I'm more confident when I do twist them

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:18:54 -0500, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Some people seem to consider "not necessary" to mean "can't".

Mark Lloyd
Steve Barker LT wrote:

SB:
Not necessarily.
Read the instructions on the box -- I don't know of any decent, UL-listed and currently available brands which say pretwisting is necessary. Actually, when wire connectors are used properly, the wires will twist together internally, even if not pretwisted. (Follow the directions that come with the connectors or call the mfr. for details.)
While I do pretwist, especially when connecting 4 or more wires, it's better not to pretwist than to pretwist wrong. It's easy to end up with 1 wire almost straight and several others wrapped barber-pole style around it. This is not proper pretwisting.
Cordially yours: G P
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Steve Barker LT posted for all of us...

Not always, it depends on the design of the wire nut.
Here is a brief excerpt from an Ideal Industries wep page. They are one of the oldest and biggest manufactures of wire nuts (I believe they have the trade mark on the name)
from http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf
* Five Color-coded models accept from #22 to #8 AWG wire * Fixed, Square-wire spring * No pre-twisting required * UL Listed and CSA Certified * Reusable * Shell rated for 105° C * Flame-retardant polypropelene shell
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin