Pull down attic ladder - Help

I am a senior and find it difficult to climb the attic with conventional ladder .. The opening for the attic is 28 in x 21 in . Can some one suggest a convinient pull down attic ladder for me . I need to go and check up the attic as the Air handler and water heater are located on the attic . Pl. Help .

Regards , Kam

Reply to
kam

I'd suggest that you have a contractor open up the existing access panel and install some drop-cown stairs. They come in a variety of prices with the ease of operation and stability generally increasing with the cost. I bought the cheapest for my shop and they are adequate but stiff to pull down. My buddy spent nealy twice what I did and his operate much more smoothly. Figure on $100 for steps and materials - the labor will vary according to your location. Maybe a tradesman will post more accurately for you.

Reply to
C & E

Safe pull down ladders are usually larger than the opening you have. You need to hire a carpenter, because the joists will have to be cut and new framing must be installed. Let the carpenter buy the ladder. Do NOT go to a place like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and hire them to install it. All those big places hire sub-contractors, and they only hire the lowest bidder.

Reply to
Bob

Many thanks Bob , Any idea as to how much the safe ladder will cost ? and what should be the size of the opening .

Regards , Kam

Reply to
kam

I replaced mine in my house. Luckily I didnt have to reframe anything.

I did spend a bit more and went for the Aluminum pull down ladder.

The wooden ones were cheaper but also much heavier.

So far so good, no problems!

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

A 'Froogle' (Google) search for prices

them from $80 to $190 for a wooden one. Check the weight compared to the price. The heavy ones will be more expensive because they have thicker wood and stronger springs. Do not get a cheap one. I installed a cheap one in my garage 30 years ago, and it's fallen apart and/or broken several times. Don't frame the opening until you actually have the ladder and read the opening size in the instructions.

Reply to
Bob

Memphis Folding Stairs is the most widely distributed make in USA. Also sold under the Brosco brand. See their website for product info:

They have excellent customer service and could easily help you decide which type/model will work for you. You'll definitely need a carpenter to make a larger opening since no pull-down stairs are made to fit what you have now. Good luck!

Reply to
siralfred

Was that the one for you, or the better one for your friend?

Although sometimes the joists will have to be cut, if one turns the latter 90 degrees, probably not. In the case of my house the upstairs hall parallels the joists.

Some framing and trim would still be needed.

I myself would sort of like a ladder, but I don't want to lose so much floor space in the attic, or have the ladder in the middle of the space up there. OTOH, when I was my fattest, I had to squeeze to get my flab through the hatch I have now, and once I knocked over the ladder while I was up there, and had to jump down avoiding the shelf and the clothes rod and all the junk I had left on the floor. This might not scare most people but I've broken each of my legs in 10 foot jumps or falls, and 8 feet seemed pretty close to that. I did land on something, but the damage to it was little and my legs were fine.

For this reason I put a phone line in the attic, and try to remember to unlock my door before I go up there.

mm