Dryer Noise

We have had our washer and dryer for almost 8 years now and never had a problem. About a year ago, the washer started making a little bit of noise, but once it gets going, it's fine and goes back to the normal sounds it always made.

On the other hand, the dryer now makes a noise that is so loud that I often leave the house for the cycle (hey, it gets me to the gym!). I know, I know, I've been told never to leave the house with a dryer on, especially with the sound that it makes now. It sounds like a (bad) instrument; I can't even compare it to anything...sort of a loud squeeking. It doesn't stop unless I stop the dryer. And the noise is loud and clear even with closed doors!

I've been calling around to find someone to come out to look at it, but many simply don't return phone calls. My husband, who doesn't participate in any household issues told me to just get a new one. I don't want to waste money and buy new ones if we don't need them but I also don't want to get ripped off by a repair person to come out and look and/or fix the dryer. I'm amazed at the "attitutude" of some of the repair people that I have called and am not eager to have anyone come to my house thus far.

What, on average, would be a reasonable price for someone to come out and look at it? It has been suggested that maybe it's "only a belt" by friends. What would be considered a resonable price to fix/replace a belt?

Thanks in advance. Any input would be appreciated!

Reply to
help!

Could be a belt, could be the rollers the drum rides on. Could be something else, maybe a breading.

Expect to pay about $100 for a service call. Depending on what the problem is and how easily it is fixed, another $25 to $100 is not unreasonable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At the back of the dryer drum is a bearing in which the shaft of the drum rotates. This is probably the most likely issue. A belt would be second. If the bearing problem gets bad enough, it could cause other problems, so if I were you, I'd deal with immediately. Go to the web site for your manufacturer, or call them, and get names of authorized repair places. If your calls aren't returned, call Sears - they'll fix anything.

The absolute best solution would be to find an independent local appliance dealer which also does repairs. Have you checked the yellow pages?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Call your local appliance store. Someone who's been around for years. They have a hard time selling things as cheap as the big chains. You might pay $20 to $30 more, but it's worth it. They stay in business by giving good customer service and not damaging things during deliveries. If they don't have a service department, they can probably recommend a reliable company. A reasonable price depends on your area. I'm guessing $75 to $125 to replace a belt. It could also be the seal around the drum, which would cost more to fix. If and when you need a new washer and dryer, go back to that store.

Reply to
Bob

Man, oh man! I sympathize with you. Get a new one because the old one squeaks? You must be doing pretty good.

I have fixed what you described about four times in my life. It involves taking the dryer apart, and lubricating things, and removing the lint buildup inside. It is no big deal. Call a major appliance sales store in your area and ask for servicemen. They will either have some, or send you to one. What you describe will cost a service call, and perhaps a belt. Look in the Yellow Pages. Try to find someone that's been in business for a good while. And you don't have to like their "attitude". You're not going to marry them, only have them fix your dryer.

It is an easy fix, and I would do it if you were my neighbor for about $50. But then, I don't have the cost of operations that cause a real serviceman to charge more........ truck, insurance, licenses, bonds, gas, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Let me interpret her statement for you:

My husband doesn't want to be bothered with any issues dealing with running a household. He works all the time, and thinks that his total obligation ends when he gives me his paycheck. He comes home and doesn't want to listen to me complain about the dryer noise and not being able to find someone to fix it. He has no idea how our finances are, because I pay all the bills. He doesn't understand that he doesn't make enough to just buy new stuff all the time. I'm about to the point where I'm going to start looking for a mechanically-inclined male friend who can take care of all the things my husband won't do.

Reply to
Bob

Many clothes dryers have a couple rollers in the back which support the drum. These are famous for squeaking. Yes, the noise will drive you right out of the house.

Like the other fine people said, i fyou can find an appliance guy who is willing to take the dryer apart, it should be repairable. I've done several squealing dryer repairs, and they are usually not dificult.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm single.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You, my dear, are brilliant! How you got all of that out of my simple statement is beyond my comprehension; but you sure hit the nail on the head from start to finish :-)

Reply to
help!

Now is about the worst time to be leaving the house with the dryer on.

Because now is the time with about the greatest chances that it will catch on fire.

Now, obviously the chances are not that great, because you've been using it and there's been no fire, but the chances are still about

1000 times higher than with a well-functioning dryer.

I don't have statistics about how many house fires are started by clothes driers, but if the number is one or more a case could be made that you should never leave your home when the dryer is on.

The noise indicates that the drum is having trouble spinning, and if it stops spinning the heat may be applied constantly to the same piece of clothing, and come to think of it, I do remember that house fires have been started by clothes dryers. You don't want to come home and find no home there, right?

P&M

mm

You all gave me the kick in the rear that I needed. A local guy is coming over for $55 dollars. I had the dryer on while we talked and he laughed at how loud it was and said it was probably not the belt (too loud) :-) He said it might be a rear bearing and would cost 200 for the "kit"? Said it could be a quarter and then I added it's mor elikely one of my daughter's lip glosses :-) He said it could be the pulley, motor or excess lint. Either way, he's coming tomorrow morning.

Now I just pray that he doesn't have plummer's crack!

Thanks for all of your input you helpful little group. Hugs to all!

mm wrote:

Reply to
help!

You, my dear, are not the first wife that this has happened to. Just be careful that you don't let your new friend work on anything that he isn't legally allowed to (unless you're positive that neither of you are going to tell anyone). ;-)

Reply to
Bob

I'm old enough to know how to avoid trouble. Those days are beind me...I think. I'm paying this guy to fix my dryer; not my marriage :-) He didn't mention bartering.

Reply to
help!

Please let us know what the final solution was, in case we get a little pool going here. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It might be a simple repair that you could do yourself. The brand might be helpful, a model number wouldn't hurt. Many brands have very common problems.

Describing your dryer as "my dryer" won't do it.

Reply to
Ed

I figured that if ya'll were really that smart, you'd know what "my dryer" looked like!! It's a GE, about 7-8 years old. On it, besides dust, it says 7 cycle automatic...Heavy Duty Super Capacity. Yeah right. Oh yeah, it's white :-) How'd I do?

Reply to
help!

Actually, we all knew what it looked like. It has a door in the front, and dials on the top. The thing we can't see from here, is that stupid little thing called a 'model number'.

Reply to
Bob

Model Schmodel. What's the big deal????? Don't I have to turn the dryer upside down to see the model number?

Reply to
help!
99.999% are easy to get to, but yours is probably on the bottom.

fix/replace a

Reply to
Bob

BTDT, can you cook?