Public Adjusters

Has any one had experience using a public adjuster when going up against an insurance company? At what point does it become worth while to hire one? Experienced water damage and getting into a situation where the insurance company and the contractor's estimate (2) are about $6,000 apart. Still in the back and forth stage but would like to know if anyone has had success using a public adjuster in relatively small claims--Under $15,000. Don't know their fee but would guess it's around 10-15% of the estimate. MLD

Reply to
MLD

No specific experience, but let me say this. The adjuster's job is to offer as little as you'll accept. They are making you jump thru hoops and they know it and you know it. Keep haggling because this is the game they expect you to play if you want more money. Keep sending letters and calling and you'll get some more.

On the other hand, if the contractors you picked know there is insurance involved, their prices are unnecessarily high. Call a contractor and don't say it's an insurance job.

On the third hand, many insurance companies "work with" (are in cahoots with) certain repair companies that will gladly accept what the insurer offered and still do an acceptable job. You have to be very careful here .... ask the insurance company for the name of contractors they "recommend" (but announce that you reserve your right to stick with ones that you picked). This is like a chess move where one of two things can happen a) they will end up having to defend their price or raise it, or b) you will get sucked into accepting the contractor that they're in cahoots with.

What is your claim ? I had a similar problem , but not as far as claim. I notified the ins co I had retained an indepedant adjuster and was also going to complain to the board and go to court. The ins co backed off. Actually I had not retained them only talked to them. Any good independant will gladly advise you, and you should persue this, as this is their means to business. You may even offer the independant a fee of ? $ , may be

100..or whatever, for helping . To see you personaly for pro advise. But fair is fair , you just want it fixed. As another stated, dont get bids stating you have insurance, prices go up. It is VERY possible your bids are , WAY over priced ! But research mold issues, I dont know your situation. And yes you deserve refrences if you go with their contractors... Alot of them , with continual dates of employment. good luck
Reply to
mark Ransley