washer problem

My washer has stoped draining. It fills up fine, then it goes trhough the cycle but it stops whenever it is supposed to drain the water out of the washer. The hose is cloged, if I lower the hose to a level lower than the water level then the water comes out. Is there maybe some pump that its not working? I have a kenmore washer, not sure what hte model is, im pretty sure its direct drive, nothing fancy probably a 300 dollar washer when new (its over 2 years old).

Reply to
memememe

Hi,

Kenmore is made by several different companies...Whirlpool is just one of them. Some flippign around blocking the water pump entrance ( coin, etc ) or bad pump is very possible. If you do have a direct drice style washer, this should help you get inside to have a peek....

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

memememe wrote

Does it try to spin?

There is a pump and it may be the cause of a draining problem.

You can see the most common Kenmore 'direct drive' washer pump at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Sounds to me as you may have a broken lid switch.

Reply to
Mad Mac

First thing to check is if the actuator (little plastic probe attached to the right-hand side of the underside of the lid) is there and not broken off. I've seen the part of the lid that this fits into bend or rust off completely on older machines. Also, check the hole in the top of the machine where this probe goes through - you should see a little plastic piece that this probe strikes to actuate the switch. If it's missing, you may need just the plastic piece or a complete switch, depending on age of the machine.

If everything is intact, UNPLUG the machine and open the control console (Jeff supplied a link to a drawing of how to do this), you should see a little 3-pin connector towards the rear of the top of the machine. Unplug this - if you have/can use a multimeter, check for continuity between the two outer pins of the part of the plug which is in the top of the machine, it should give continuity with the lid down. If in any doubt how to do any of this, I recommend you seek professional assistance.

Just as an aside, when I worked at Sears, about 18 months ago we had a spate of these switches breaking off on brand new Whirlpool-built Kenmores due to oil contamination during manufacture - there was a manufacturer's Service Flash re this, and if your washer falls into this category, I would suggest you contact Sears service and mention this to them (Whirlpool were picking up the cost of replacing the switches).

Reply to
Mad Mac

so far I dont know if this is the only problem, but you were right, the little switch is broken, I took it out and Im gonna go get a replacement tomorrow, I really hope thats the only problem.

Reply to
memememe

thanks man, that fixed it, thank you!!!!

Reply to
memememe