Kenmore Washer Problem

This is a Kenmore Direct Drive Washer...

Worked fine until one morning I put a load in, turned it on, and it started fine.

Later that morning, my wife went to put the load in the dryer and it was still full of water. The cycle was done though.

After manually draining the tub, I tried to run it through another cycle. It fills the tub and the knob goes through the whole cycle, but nothing else happens... it doesn't even drain the water at the end of the cycle. During the cycle, I do hear some humming coming from the machine (as if the motor was trying to run maybe???).

Along with this, there is a distinct smell of burnt wires or something burning.

I've opened up the machine and determined that it wasn't the coupler.

What could be the problem/next action to take?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
brian.richard

Probably the drain valve not opening to let the water out. You can do some troubleshooting at:

Edwin Pawlowski

It could be a host of things, but not the "drain valve", it doesn't have one. It could be: The motor The motor switch Something caught in the pump The timer The transmission The wiring

wrote

Reply to
Ed

Gosh Ed, that sure was helpful. Next time save yourself the trouble and just say:

"Sounds like there is something wrong somewhere."

Reply to
Matt

wrote

Take the two clips off the pump and hold it out of the way and see if the machine will agitate. If it does the problem is with the pump. If it doesn't, the problem is with the motor, motor switch, or transmission.

Reply to
Ed

"Matt" wrote

Those are the facts. Are you still upset that you never really learned anything in life. Why don't you get over it? Instead of stewing in your ineptness, why not offer a suggestion to the original poster?

Reply to
Ed

Because Ed, unlike you - I'm willing to admit I don't have the first clue about what the problem with the washer is.

I suppose I could use your strategy, which is to mention every major part in the washer, followed by - 'one of these could be the problem' - but I choose not to.

I thought you said your mamma drowned all the dumb babies, Ed.

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote

I'm greatful for that. Now, why don't you go find yourself a nice quiet place and grow up. I don't feel much like arguing with 12 year olds today. I don't like to add people to my kill file but when some single cell bacteria attaches itself to you, you should remove it if you can.

If I did killfile you I wouldn't be missing much. Here are some of your recent 'useful' statements, each from a different post:

"Sounds like there is something wrong somewhere."

"I think Sasha is a pretty name."

"Whats his second wish?"

"One time I put down tile before the subfloor went in. Then I had the housewarming party! Talk about embarrasing!!!! My family still isnt talking to me. The ones still alive, I mean."

"Oh I dont know. Pop rocks and coke can clear almost anything."

"That is EXACTLY what the professor said to Gilligan, and look how that turned out."

I could go on but everyone gets the idea.

Reply to
Ed

"You dont have one arm in there when you try to close it, do you? Cause that will do it every time with a simpson! Doh! Slam! Doh! Slam! Doh! Slam!"

I don't know what this group would do without you.

Reply to
Ed

Aw eddy! I'm so glad you have been following all my posts!

But regardless of what you may think of my posts, and no matter what you do to change the subject:

The fact is you are a clueless old man who not only cannot repair appliances, but also can't admit this basic fact. Instead, you would rather tell other posters they are wrong (you've done it to Edwin and me now), and then offer nonhelp.

Uh the problem is in the timer, the pump, the wiring, the motor, or the transmission.

Thanks for the help, Eddie! YOU ARE GOOD!

Reply to
Matt

Well Matt, at least Ed is TRYING to be helpful... you're just stirring shit.

Thanks Ed, I will try taking the pump out of the system to see what happens.

Brian

Reply to
brian.richard

How old is it? It might not have a self-reversing lint filter in the pump out thing. They make them now so they don't clog but the old ones weren't like that. Fortunatly the older ones are also not a one piece molded sealed thing. You should be able to open it up and pull out the clog. Just be aware that some water is going to POUR OUT OF THE HOSE once you disconnect the pump. So just krimp it off with some vise grips or something or else you will have that 15 gallons of water on the floor. You might want to just scoop the water out if it's next to a sink. Those little basins they send you home from the hospital with will fit nicely under the washer stuff to catch spills. Its going to be a mess but I tink it's doable especially since you heard the hum and it did not kick off. At least you said its direct drive so your belt won't be stretched out from heating up. Good luck.

Reply to
Kathy

After careful reflection, I've decided you are right Brian.

Ed, I am sorry for criticising you and your skills.

Brian, the problem is somewhere in the pump, the transmission, the wiring, the motor, or the timer.

Could be in the frame too; but can't be sure until you post a model #.

HTH.

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote

That's obvious. One of the sorriest I've run across.

Reply to
Ed

I have a Maytag with the same problem. It happened when I washed the clothes in the "whites" cycle. I switched to washing clothes in the "colors" cycle and it works fine. Maybe the problem has to do with the cycle, like something with the timer. Try washing in a different cycle like delicates and see if the same thing happens.

Reply to
Mikepier

Lets see now. Ed has plonked me, but something tells me he MUST HAVE THE LAST WORD. So lets see.

Hey dickhEaD, how ya doing today?

Reply to
Matt