programmable T-stat with fan on

I am looking for a programmable T-stat that you can also program the fan to stay on certain times. In the morning I think it would help to circulate the air better and save on the furnace burners staying on longer. Do they make such a T-stat?

Reply to
Mikepier

I have never seen one, but I would think you could roll your own, without much effort.

However I am not sure I understand your reason for wanting one. Why would running the fan full time in the morning help?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've never seen a home thermostat like this either. There may be commercial ones available. Or you could use two regular programmable ones. One would be installed normally. The second only connected to the two wires it takes to activate the fan.

Reply to
trader4

On my existing T-stat, the heat is set to come on at 6:00 am. One morning I decided to see how the system would perform if I turned the fan on at the same time running continuosly, and it seemed that the furnace was cycling less than usual. I thought if I could program the fan to stay on from 6-9 am ( the same time when my heat comes on in the morning) it would help save energy.

Reply to
Mikepier

Sure - the Honeywell Chronotherm or VisionPro series thermostats will do this.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I live in a split-level house and the return duct is in the upstairs bedroom hallway, so I guess it is taking the warm air upstairs and redistributing to the downstairs vents, making the temp more uniform. If they don't make such a T-stat, I could increase the blower off time. Right now I think its factory set at 100 seconds, I can increase it to180 seconds.

Reply to
Mikepier

Ok Travis thanks, I'll check those out.

Reply to
Mikepier

Check brands Emerson and White-Rodgers. I had one in the early 90's that could be programmed just to run the fan at certain times on certain days. It worked good in the common areas of our condo building as it minimized the cooking smells that would collect in the hallways around dinnertime.

I believe it was one of these brands but that was a while ago...

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

"On my existing T-stat, the heat is set to come on at 6:00 am. One morning I decided to see how the system would perform if I turned the fan on at the same time running continuosly, and it seemed that the furnace was cycling less than usual. I thought if I could program the fan to stay on from 6-9 am ( the same time when my heat comes on in the

morning) it would help save energy. "

I'd be surprised if this saved any energy. For one thing, running the fan consumes a good bit of electricity. For another, you are running warm house air through ducts which in most cases run in areas like basements that are unheated. And every duct system I've seen has some leaks, so some of the warm air is going to be lost into areas like the basement on it's many trips around the block.

Reply to
trader4

I have not heard of this sort of Tstat, but I have a suggestion, but first ?....Do you have an air conditioner installed onto your furnace?

Reply to
lagoog

I have not heard of this sort of Tstat, but I have a suggestion, but first ?....Do you have an air conditioner installed onto your furnace?

Reply to
lagoog

Reply to
Mikepier

You can also ask here:

gents have helped me with lots and lots of HVAC problems

Reply to
Roy Starrin