Electric baseboard and T-stat wiring

I want to install a 240 baseboard at my vacation home. I was going to put in a simple T-stat mounted on the baseboard. If I decide in the future to put in a T-stat on the wall, can I run a 12/2 from the baseboard to the T-stat , or are the T-stats double pole meaning I have to run both hot legs to the T-stat first then back to the baseboard?

Reply to
Mikepier

There are single and double pole electric wall thermostats and either one is fine. I prefer to install the double pole so that power to the heater is completely off when the thermostat is turned down. Make sure that there is enough room in the splice compartment on the heater for the extra wires.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Why not just "Do it Right" the first time?

All but the smallest J-box can take a two pole thermostat (that's helped by the fact that most of the thermostat is outside the J-box). Run the wire from he CB box to the J-box and then to the baseboard. That way there isn't any crowding in the baseboard.

If you ever switch to central heat you likely can "re-cycle" the wiring to the J-box/baseboard to, say switch an outlet.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer