privacy and chain link fencing

The fence between my neighbors yard and mine is chainlink. Anyone have any ideas how to make it a privacy fence. Besides those slats. The slats that are woven into the chainlink are not much of an improvement over the chainlink alone, I think. Can 4 x 8 hardiplank siding be screwed to the uprights or would the dogs beat that to death in short order?