price of AAA alkaline

Page 5 of 7
On 06/04/2016 09:45 AM, HerHusband wrote:

And reset all those "power amnesiacs", equipment that can't remember it's supposed to be ON.
I have a LED light, that can be set to one of 7 colors. I prefer green (which looks brightest), but when power is first applied it always comes on white. However, in this case I find that useful. It's a power outage indicator.

Not AC with battery backup. I find that those with battery backup are usually slow on it, and so worse than no battery (wrong time not obvious failure).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 06/03/2016 11:48 PM, HerHusband wrote:

Mostly like that here, but last year we had a 4-day outage.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 06/03/2016 12:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

I watched construction in a new neighborhood a few years ago. They put all utilities underground.
That'd be nice here, but this area is older.

I lost natural gas once, because of a defective regulator that had to be replaced. They had to purge the line at my water heater. I was there and was surprised at how loud a noise the gas made when it came through.
[snip]
The last time I used a flashlight was to see how much gas was in a little generator (a Honda EU2000i). At the time it was very sunny outside, but I needed light INSIDE the tank.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/4/2016 11:42 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I think, overall, it is cheaper. Higher up-front costs but lower maintenance costs.

It's a mmixed bag, here. Some parts of town are crisscrossed (literally) with hanging cables (at various heights and traveling in different directions). Other areas are more "pristine".

We had a city-wide outage a few winters back. Too much demand for the supply. I.e., you had gas -- but not enough flow to keep appliances from shutting themselves down (safety). They eventually cut the gas supply to certain parts of town so the rest of the town could have gas at a usable pressure.

On 6/2/2016 11:37 PM, HerHusband wrote:

LED lights with coin cells are small enough to put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small light on your keys, or some where you have it near you all the time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Finally. Thank you.
On 6/3/2016 12:11 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Helps when Derby explains what your rambling meant.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/03/2016 05:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking dogs), and often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to carry a flashlight.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/3/2016 10:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Shouldn't your *friend* be the one carrying the flashlight??
On 06/03/2016 01:02 PM, Don Y wrote:

On the keyring with the lost keys.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/4/2016 11:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Just tell him/her to leave it ON so when the keys get misplaced, they'll "light the way" to their retrieval!
On 6/4/2016 3:23 PM, Don Y wrote:

Do I have a second?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/3/2016 1:43 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

For about two bucks, you can buy a flashlight for your friend to use. You stay home and be comfortable.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/3/2016 6:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Someone shut off the light and I would have been lost without the little light. You don't expect problems like this during the day.
On 6/3/2016 2:17 PM, Frank wrote:

Once in a while, a small light sure is handy.
Glad you made it out okay, we'd miss you here.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/03/2016 01:17 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

Generally, I don't turn off the light unless I turned it on and no one has entered since. However, the problem DOES happen.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/4/2016 2:45 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I told the guy out in the gym that he should not have turned off the light particularly when someone was still in there. He did not realize he did it and it was his natural reaction to turn off the light. I was beyond the set of lockers where the switch was so there was no one in the room that he turned the light off in.
That little light died but a friend gave me a light that he had given to employees and customers when he retired. Great on the key chain and lots of light but batteries went and it would have cost me over $10 to replace the lithium batteries. I prefer lights with AAA or AA batteries.
I hear about the Simply Safe home alarm system which you install yourself and is cheap with no wiring. You can bet cost of battery replacement is a big negative.
On 6/4/2016 3:30 PM, Frank wrote:

1) some fellows have little common sense 2) Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight some times have lithium coin cells. Might not been ten bucks in batteries. 3) Don't know about the Simpli Safe. But, most likely you are right.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/04/2016 02:30 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

The "cost of battery replacement" is something I think of every time I consider use of a battery-operated device in a fixed location. Some can be modified to use an external power source. I do have one wired like that now, a remote switch for "Lilly's lights".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/4/2016 4:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I don't think of the "cost" in terms of the cost of replacement batteries (which can be small, esp if using rechargeables).
But, rather, the cost in terms of inconvenience and (un)reliability for a battery operated product. E.g., I won't purchase power handtools that are battery operated. I want to KNOW that I can use a tool the moment I take it off the shelf; the "inconvenience" of a cord is a non-issue. Esp when contrasted with the inconvenience of having to wait for a battery to charge *or* recharge while using the device (and, when the battery ultimately fails is some time when you are USING the device).
The convenience of battery (portable) power can be obtained without the RELIANCE on battery power!