Predictions on all the freon leaked out and need AC system replaced

trader_4 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Stormy sucked out the freezone to use in his system or sell...

Reply to
Tekkie®

It's been about 10 days since I worked on the system, and not heard from the fellow. I will call one of these days and ask if things are well.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Still running on the partial charge you put in?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not heard a word. In most cases, that means it's fine. People usually only phone if there is a problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

IDK where it;s located, but many places there hasn't been a real need for AC yet. I haven't had mine on yet this year. So, maybe they haven't run it since you left.

Reply to
trader_4

Friday June 6, 2014, I called to ask. I got a reply voice mail saying it wasn't working all that well.

Saturday June 7, I went out and put the gages on. The low side was six inches mercury below atmospheric. This means the refrigerant leaked out, and it's a high pressure side leak. I'm going to return monday and put a little in. Close the service valves. Return Wednesday to see if it's leaking from the indoor or outdoor portion. Decide where to go from there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From that information, how could you tell the leak was on the high pressure side?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Wednesday June 11, 2014

Call the HO on phone. They (married couple) discussed, decided to take no action at present. Roof might need repairs, funds are short. "air conditioning is just a comfort".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, I guess bottom line is the first service company wasn't scamming and the system does have a real leak, somewhere. Didn't first company tell the HO where the leak was, what all the problems were that lead them to recommend a new system?

Reply to
trader_4

While the system does have a leak, they were paid to do the maintenance, and they did not clean the outdoor unit. The HO (neither man nor wife) said anything about finding the leak.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seems logical, since the system was non-operational, they spent their time doing the investigation/diagnosis and their opinion was that the best course of action was to replace it.

Did you ask? Maybe they were told, but they don't want to tell the next guy to see if they get the same answer....

Reply to
trader_4

again,

what makes you think the leak is on the high pressure side?

I'm not saying you are wrong, I am simply asking how you can tell.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Don't remember, off hand. I don't think I asked what the first company found. HO just said the company said it was shot and all needed replace.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I returned a couple days later, and put a low side gage on. With the compressor running, the gage read about 8 inches mercury. If it was a low side leak, it would have read zero.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

even if it was a very slow leak?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

If it was just a tiny leak???? Don't think so.

Reply to
clare

Yes, even if.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, prove it....

I've only been servicing HVAC/R for 15 years. Maybe I missed something?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, I've done a fair bit of automotive A/C repair and testing and I've had LOTS of evaporator leaks that sure didn't produce a zero psi reading on the low side. Not even CLOSE to zero. If they did, troubleshooting would be a BREEZE.

Reply to
clare

I've found low side leaks end up being zero, low side, while the compressor is running.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon