Predictions on all the freon leaked out and need AC system replaced

Page 2 of 5
On Wed, 14 May 2014 21:09:43 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

or argon if you have it on hand and no nitrogen.
On Thu, 15 May 2014 06:47:16 +0200, nestork

without leak checking it first - generally they draw it down and charge with nitrogen to leak test. Ultrasonic leak detector works just as well with nitrogen as with "freon"
Still running on the partial charge you put in?
On 6/3/2014 11:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

fine. People usually only phone if there is a problem.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:52:30 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

IDK where it;s located, but many places there hasn't been a real need for AC yet. I haven't had mine on yet this year. So, maybe they haven't run it since you left.
On 6/4/2014 9:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Friday June 6, 2014, I called to ask. I got a reply voice mail saying it wasn't working all that well.
Saturday June 7, I went out and put the gages on. The low side was six inches mercury below atmospheric. This means the refrigerant leaked out, and it's a high pressure side leak. I'm going to return monday and put a little in. Close the service valves. Return Wednesday to see if it's leaking from the indoor or outdoor portion. Decide where to go from there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:02:18 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, I guess bottom line is the first service company wasn't scamming and the system does have a real leak, somewhere. Didn't first company tell the HO where the leak was, what all the problems were that lead them to recommend a new system?
On 6/11/2014 1:15 PM, trader_4 wrote:

While the system does have a leak, they were paid to do the maintenance, and they did not clean the outdoor unit. The HO (neither man nor wife) said anything about finding the leak.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:32:42 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Seems logical, since the system was non-operational, they spent their time doing the investigation/diagnosis and their opinion was that the best course of action was to replace it.

Did you ask? Maybe they were told, but they don't want to tell the next guy to see if they get the same answer....
again,
what makes you think the leak is on the high pressure side?
I'm not saying you are wrong, I am simply asking how you can tell.
Mark

side gage on. With the compressor running, the gage read about 8 inches mercury. If it was a low side leak, it would have read zero.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:38:46 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

even if it was a very slow leak?
Mark

Yes, even if.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/12/2014 8:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:

what the first company found. HO just said the company said it was shot and all needed replace.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 6/12/2014 8:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OK, prove it....
I've only been servicing HVAC/R for 15 years. Maybe I missed something?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've had LOTS of evaporator leaks that sure didn't produce a zero psi reading on the low side. Not even CLOSE to zero. If they did, troubleshooting would be a BREEZE.
On 6/12/2014 9:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've found low side leaks end up being zero, low side, while the compressor is running.
--
.
Christopher A. Young