Pre 1.6 gpf Toilets - Legal Anywhere?

Page 1 of 3
We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put them in the trash.
Exactly whom is going to stop you from using them?
I imagine you could still eBay them if you really wanted to.
Now who'd buy used toilets? I certainly won't.
Just what I always wanted a used toilet
I am pretty sure the law is that you can no longer manufacture the toilets, I do not believe there is a prohibition on selling or installing one in your own home.
I live in Detroit, and we go to the Home Depot in Canada to get a real toilet, drive it back across the border.
Yes, I am a toilet smuggler, but only for personal use.
Customs: "What kinda crapper you smuggling in?"
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 2 Mar 2005 08:53:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

14 year old toilets. I can hardly wait to replace them with 1.6 gpf toilets that actually make the water go down instead of swirl around aimlessly. The 1.6 gpf toilet that I had in my previous house worked incredibly well and saved a lot of money in water bills. Sometimes the ones I have now have to be flushed three times. The water saver never needed more than one flush. It was a real toilet. The water wasters are not.

Anyone who is serious about learning of the best toilets on the market today should start here http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm To get right to the nitty-gritty, this report is very informative. That web site has a lot of good information as well. http://www.savingwater.org/docs/MapThirdEdition.pdf
Dick
Alan wrote:

"saved a lot of money in water bills"???? Cripes how much do you flush the thing? Get serious! Eric

For most people, flushing toilets uses more water than any other household use. That was the reason for mandating low flow toilets. I think replacing my toilet in the old house cut my total water usage by a quarter. Here I am on flat rate water, so they won't pay for themselves, but I want something that flushes properly and stays cleaner.
Alan wrote:

That is hard to believe. How much does a washing machine load use? How many loads does a family of four use in a week? How many length showers does the household take? And what about standing by the sink with the water running?
But the bigger issue is why people think household use somehow destroys water. It doesn't. In fact putting water out to a septic field is _returning it to the natural environment_. Evaporation, cloud formation, precipitation, collection and distribution can happen again. It is perfect recycling.
In fact there is _no shortage of water on Earth_. Fossil fuel combustion is creating more water as a by-product all the time. You might have an issue with where the water is, but the solution is more pipelines and tankers (or towing icebergs!), but stopping use is the way you create deserts.
The trouble is, anyone with "a good idea" can call himself an "environmentalist." There are no standards, no professional groups, no licenses, no degrees.
You must live on the east coast as I do. These so called water saving gadgets are a necessity for the west coast people. They are forced down our throat by the federal government. It takes the industry a few years to get the water saving toilet to work right. I am not the only one who has to ditch at least one water saving toilet when it is mandated by the fed but the toilet manufacturer did not went back to the drawing board to re-engineer it. But I think the water saving toilet is a good idea, after being re-engineered of course.
Historically the east coast has never had shortage of water. The occassional drought does not count. LA for example, is practically built in a desert.
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote: ...

And who's at fault for that? :)

for the great northwest.
jack
We have a company here that has a thriving business selling old 3+ gallon toilets.
On 2 Mar 2005 08:09:01 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

Wanted to use one in our front yard until the lot next door was sold (hopefully to me and at my price) but my wife wouldn't let me. Had access to a beautiful old Avocado Green one I removed from my mother in laws old mobile home, too. Oh, well. Seriously, we put Toto in our new bathroom remodel and it works better than any old high gallon model we ever had.
Tom.
Question is why why why?????
Some newer 1.6 gpf toilets work better than old 3.5 gpf.
Just buy a better model.
Who in the right mind would buy used toilet?
Wonder if some people call taxi's from their hospital room to take them home so they avoid sitting on hospital toilet cooties... god forbid a nurse brings them a portable toilet seat with a bucket under it. Ewwww, get that hose back in my nose now!.
heck I'd probably buy a used 1.6g toilet have you seen some of the prices! I'm sure a good sanitizing would fix em.

Someone on ebay?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/