power invertor

Page 3 of 8
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:52:01 -0400, "Robert Green"

One could say that I should have touched it first, and found right away that it came off, but I was eager to use my inverter ($10 iirc) and I did learn about its limitations, which I would not have otherwise.
On 4/14/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:

Many of my life's memories have been from experience. I'd post one now and again to this list, but few would learn from it. And those few are the ones who already know what they are doing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Same thing happened to me years ago. I have a small inverter that runs my laptop computer just fine. But I wanted to drill a hole in my mailbox, to replace the cheap plastic flag with a sturdy metal one I saved from another mailbox that was junk. The drill just kicked the inverters reset.
At the time I did not have a cordless drill, but that would have worked fine. I just removed the mailbox from the post and took it to the garage to install the flag. More work that way, but it did the job.
Motors have high starting current. Maybe the drill says 6 amps, but it may need double that amount to start. Drills are not as bad as big motors though. Motors with a start-capacitor need less amps to start, but all of them still have a high draw when they start. Thats why your house lights may flicker when a well pump, air compressor or other large motor kicks on.
Read the amps on your drill, get an inverter that is double that amount, and add a little more. Example, if the drill needs 6A, get a 15A inverter.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:35:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

draw as much extra starting current as AC motors do. Induction motors are the big culprits. (Universal motors are basically compounded mnotors - mostly series but with a shunt component that helps regulate speed - and the series resistance (which is part of the reason they are about as efficient as an infernal combustion motor) of the motor helps limit starting current.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:35:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Good to know. Around my townhouse with the little yard, and even going to the car which would be right in front of most of the houses but is farther away in my case, I have a 100' extension cord. Reaches all the way from the front of the house to the back corner of the back yard. Of course that wouldn't reach to the woods 10 blocks away, but that project is over.
On 4/14/2016 2:21 PM, Micky wrote:

Gasoline power generator can sure be handy to have. Might be able to borrow one from a friend, if not already owned. My generator helped keep me warm during the 2003 ice storm. Wire the furnace to a power cord which I cut of a curbside device of some kind, years ago. Extension cords. Generator outdoors away from the house. Chained down.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 3:58:38 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...that's only 3!

I don't know how well they would hold up, but Harbor Freight puts one on sale for about $ 90. It is a 2 cycle as far as I recall. If I did not already have a 5 Kw I would look into that thing just to see if it would be worth anything. I have often thought about buying one of the smaller ones that had an inverter built in because they would run all night on a gallon or so of gas. Sofar I have not lost power too many times, but if I did have a power loss problem I would already have one.
On 4/14/2016 7:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I did get a 1200 watt ETQ, which looks like pretty much identical unit. Try never to run it out of gas, that damages the rod bearing.
Used to start well, and rather quiet. Now, it needs ether to start, and knocks a bit. Learning moment. Use the | - O switch to turn it off.
By now, everyone reading this list knows what a | - O switch is, and who likes them or not.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/14/2016 6:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 04/14/2016 06:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[snip]

Output is 900W maximum, 700W continuous according to the ad I have here. I wonder if you could use a drill on that.

Like this one: http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i Its easy to carry and quiet with a small load.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

On 4/15/2016 5:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've heard that about some small consumer model gas engines. Makes for an hour a month for ten years.
When Kodak made disk film cameras, I think they built them for 120 disks. Figuring a disk a month for ten years. Not even sure you can get disk film any more. Between instamatic, 35 MM, and then digital, the disk film cameras are totally obsolete.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:01:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon

They commonly run for thousands of hours.
On 4/15/2016 6:55 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I've not taken apart my ETQ, but I suspect it has aluminum cylinder block and no sleeve. My guess is that one is good for 100 hours or so.
But, that's just a guess. A good engine with steel cylinder wall may last longer. Guessing, still.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Take an Echo chain saw engine, or some of the other high end 2 stroke saws and run them in a clean environment with proper fuel/oil mix and they will go almost forever.
Run a cheap 2 stroke "emission controlled" engine (meaning non ajustable jets and running lean) more than 10 hours at a time at over half load and you are lucky to get 100 hours out of it. Half an hour or an hour at a time, mabee 200 if you are real lucky.
On 4/15/2016 10:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I made the mistake of running my ETQ 1200 out of gas a couple times. Now it's got a noticable piston rod knock. And only starts with ether.
What are some of the symptoms of worn out? I'd guess low compression, and not much power. Curious what to look for in my machine. Sounds like you'd know what for me to expect.
Mine has maybe 10 hours or so of run time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

loose rod bearings and low compression means worn out. and at 10 hours yours is about average - total runtime before experiencing problems likely varies from 1 to 100 hours. The old military DC gensets running iron horse 2 strokes were good for a lot longer (you've likely seen them at HamFests, Stormy.) They were used to run field radios, mainly.
On 4/16/2016 11:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When I got the ETQ, it started on second or third pull. amazingly quiet, and it did make electricity. Aparently, running it dry was a big mistake.
I've seen military generators, but not at hamfests. I've not been to a hamfest. Yet. One day soon, perhaps.
--
.
Christopher A. Young