power invertor

Generally the very inefficient "universal" motors in drills do not draw as much extra starting current as AC motors do. Induction motors are the big culprits. (Universal motors are basically compounded mnotors - mostly series but with a shunt component that helps regulate speed - and the series resistance (which is part of the reason they are about as efficient as an infernal combustion motor) of the motor helps limit starting current.

Reply to
clare

Whatever it says on the package when it comes from China is virtually guaranteed to be in-accurate.

Reply to
clare

Even the "Made In China" part? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@xfoneusa.net... anyone recommend a good power invertor? just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.

Reply to
Tony944

Hmm. I don't see anywhere that Robert indicated that the wire he purchased from a seller on E-Bay came from China.

Nor did Robert indicate how he determined that the wire was really AWG18.

In fact, we get hundreds of shipments a month from China, all of which are labelled accurately, so your 'virtually guaranteed to be in-accurate' is false on its face.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They're in the basement somewhere. 20watts for the inverter and 80 watts for the drill maybe. What does a standard 3/8" drill require?

Reply to
Micky

One could say that I should have touched it first, and found right away that it came off, but I was eager to use my inverter ($10 iirc) and I did learn about its limitations, which I would not have otherwise.

Reply to
Micky

Good to know. Around my townhouse with the little yard, and even going to the car which would be right in front of most of the houses but is farther away in my case, I have a 100' extension cord. Reaches all the way from the front of the house to the back corner of the back yard. Of course that wouldn't reach to the woods 10 blocks away, but that project is over.

Reply to
Micky

That's certainly true about battery jumper cables too. I don't think the ones with extra thick insulation, and thin copper, came out until the 70's. At least that was the first time I saw them.

Reply to
Micky

...that's 4 in a row...I hope you're done thinking out loud? ¯\_(? ????)_/¯

Reply to
bob_villain

Name 3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill SKU 60614 Brand Drill Master Amperage (amps) 3.2 Maximum speed (rpm) 3000 RPM Chuck size (in.) 3/8 in. Product Height 7 in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many of my life's memories have been from experience. I'd post one now and again to this list, but few would learn from it. And those few are the ones who already know what they are doing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gasoline power generator can sure be handy to have. Might be able to borrow one from a friend, if not already owned. My generator helped keep me warm during the 2003 ice storm. Wire the furnace to a power cord which I cut of a curbside device of some kind, years ago. Extension cords. Generator outdoors away from the house. Chained down.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...that's only 3!

Reply to
bob_villain

I don't know how well they would hold up, but Harbor Freight puts one on sale for about $ 90. It is a 2 cycle as far as I recall. If I did not already have a 5 Kw I would look into that thing just to see if it would be worth anything. I have often thought about buying one of the smaller ones that had an inverter built in because they would run all night on a gallon or so of gas. Sofar I have not lost power too many times, but if I did have a power loss problem I would already have one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

See, I underestimated again.

So maybe the converter was 50 watts and the drill 350.

This one wouldn't have worked anyhow. The post was about 6' tall.

Reply to
Micky

I'd like one but I"ve run out of room. Even outside. Plus we've only had about 8 days without power in 33 years. All were short, most under 4 hours, except one that was between 3 and 4 days in the winter, and I was starting to call around looking for a place to stay. Unfortunately all my friends were without power also. But then the power came on and so did the furnace.

Reply to
Micky

I have a impact driver with a cigarette lighter port. It works very well getting the lug nuts off the wheel. But not so much for scissors jack. I experimentally with it to see how well it works. it works sort of but not very effectively... too slow.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

this is actually an open question. I don't know the loads need to run/power a corded power drill. I've yet to get a corded power drill.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

I did get a 1200 watt ETQ, which looks like pretty much identical unit. Try never to run it out of gas, that damages the rod bearing.

Used to start well, and rather quiet. Now, it needs ether to start, and knocks a bit. Learning moment. Use the | - O switch to turn it off.

By now, everyone reading this list knows what a | - O switch is, and who likes them or not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon